1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Perfect Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's a good start. Thanks.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 MLB Perfect Game Running Thread- Arroyo

Johan Santana 12 starts after being out for 1 1/2 years tosses a no hitter on 134 pitches. Pretty much never the same after and in August was DL'ed for rest of season. Now career might be over.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It happened to Dave Stieb two starts in a row in 1988. And then he lost a perfect game in the ninth in 1989.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget a certain umpire.

And, adding umpires to your list of interviews would be cool, especially the home plate ones. Ask them if they were aware of the perfect game, if it made them nervous, or, if it made them think about stretching the strike zone a little bit.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was watching Brian Holman mow down the A's in Oakland in 1990 when the A's were a powerhouse when Ken Phelps went yard to spoil it. I had a hard time understanding how the crowd was excited to see it spoiled when they could have witnessed history (luckily I saw Cain's perfecto last year).

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Could probably do an entire chapter on Armando Gallaragga's 28 out perfect game.

Edit: I now see Baron alluded to the game a couple posts ago.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No real fan wants to see his team on the wrong end of history. My uncle was a big Mets fan. He was at Jim Bunning's perfect game against them on Father's Day in 1964. It was not a pleasant memory for him.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Along similar lines, I was at Nolan Ryan's 300th win, which ended with the entire Milwaukee County Stadium crowd of 50,000-plus on its feet cheering for Robin Yount to make the last out.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Milt Pappas is another one who was the victim of a questionable call on the 27th batter. It looks like a ball to me, but the angle was pretty bad back then, so it's tough to tell.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well the A's were not "my team", I was there to see a ballgame on a beautiful summer night (Giants have always been my team).

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The home plate ump for that game — which was in 1972 — was Bruce Froemming, who was then in his second season. He umpired until 2007.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Completely disagree. I almost always* root for history.

I'm a big Braves fan who was at Randy Johnson's perfect game in Atlanta (hi BYH!) By the sixth inning, I was rooting for history. By the seventh, about half the people in the stands were doing the same. By the eighth, everyone was.

There's been 23 perfect games in MLB history. How could you NOT root for that if you're in the stands and there's a chance to see one?

* helps if the game is relatively "meaningless," not a World Series game or something. I was at the Leyritz Game in '96, too. Wasn't rooting for that fucking drunk, then or now.

Draft saved Draft deleted