1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Hall of Fame Screechfest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would love it if Bonds and Clemens made it in, so then we could stop talking about it as much. Sosa, McGwire and Palmeiro not making it isn't going to be seen as a huge deal, but if we have to wait a year or two for Bonds and Clemens to get in, this argument is going to get excruciatingly tired, if it's not already there...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How has football generally handled PED users in its HOF voting?

I'm sure they were rampant in the '70s and '80s, for example, but most of those guys got in before people realized what had transpired.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well, I can wait on Biggio too, if that consistency would please you.

Era in which the other three played suggests recreational drugs (Raines) more than PEDs.

This isn't a "beyond reasonable doubt" threshold like a court of law. And the enshrinement process allows for 15 years worth of consideration for context or any other reason. For me, PEDs have made that period for great disclosure more necessary than it used to be. I'd be happy if there were NO first-ballot inductees, if that's the price to be paid.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just like football handles them in current reporting. Pretend they don't exist.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If I had a vote?

Piazza
    Trammell
    Biggio
    Bagwell
    Raines

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Interesting couple of tweets from Phil Hersh.

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
    I have a ballot because I covered baseball for nearly 20 years. And I'm keeping it just to vote against the druggies.

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
    Oh, the joy I will have snubbing Sosa, Bonds and Clemens (plus McGwire and Palmeiro, natch) on my HoF ballot.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Based on watching baseball for the past 42 years, its hard for me to see Biggio as a HOF'er. 3000 hits is magical and an astonishing feat, but Biggio just never seemed like a dominating player, or even the best that year at his position.

I can see Bonds and Clemens, but no way on McGwire. Sure he hit 49 his rookie year, so he was a power hitter, but he hit .201 one year and sat so he would stay above the Mendoza line. That's not a HOF'er. Similarly, Sosa was no great shakes until he started taking PEDs.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for steroids, Bagwell, McGwire and Palmeiro would have already gotten in. Bonds, Sosa, Clemens and Piazza would be going in this year.

With steroids as a factor, I think Bagwell and Piazza are the only ones of the seven that will get in. Bonds and Clemens will always get enough to be safe to stay on the ballot but I think there are enough voters who will ensure they never get in.

Morris is getting in this year. He was 48 votes shy last time, he's the top vote-getting holdover, no one who has gotten that close has never not made it and there are enough anti-steroid votes that will go his way instead of to the newcomers.

From this ballot, I think the writers will eventually induct Morris, Bagwell, Raines, Biggio and Piazza. Anyone else I have to wait and see what the first-time vote totals are.

Eventually I could see Morris, Bagwell, Raines, Biggio, Piazza, Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Trammell, Edgar Martinez, Lofton and McGriff chosen once the Veterans Committee has their say.

9. My Ballot, if I had a vote

First-time
    Craig Biggio
    Barry Bonds
    Roger Clemens
    Kenny Lofton

Returning to the ballot:
    Jeff Bagwell
    Mark McGwire
    Tim Raines
    Larry Walker

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Biggio is a compiler but for a second baseman, being 5th in doubles, 15th all-time in runs, 21st in hits and a multiple gold glover is impressive.

His 10-most similar batters are Yount, Jeter, Morgan, Molitor, Alomar, Ripken, Damon, Brooks Robinson, Whitaker and Brett.

By WAR he is 10th all-time for a second baseman and the 5th best for the position for careers started after 1930

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Or, if it wasn't for steroids, they wouldn't have the numbers to even be in the discussion.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ten years with Oakland, five with the Yankees. Two good years with the Yankees.

Draft saved Draft deleted