1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Hall of Fame Screechfest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bonds was a bigger prick to the media so I expect the vote totals will reflect that.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

This would be close to impossible to vote if steroids were not involved.
    Seriously messed up with PEDs on the table.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The ballot wouldn't be this crowded without steroids. Without steroids, these guys would have faded out and retired on different schedules and it would have been one or two of them at a time just like always. It just so happens for this window that the Mitchell Report came out, a testing policy with some teeth followed, and suddenly everyone is out of the game.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many on the ballot do you think will get in eventually?

I think probably eight...

I think of everyone on the ballot, Biggio may have the best chance to get in this year.

5. Mizzougrad96

I highly doubt it.

6. LongTimeListener

Palmeiro, no way. Of everyone in the steroid era, he has become the biggest punchline.

7. Mizzougrad96

Palmeiro is never getting in.

McGwire and Sosa might have a difficult road as well. Fairly or unfairly, I think it's easier to justify voting for Bonds or Clemens, guys who had HOF careers long before most thought they were juicing.

I have no idea if Morris will get in.

The rest, I think get in, even if it might take longer for some...

8. Mizzougrad96

I think Trammell has a solid resume and may even be deserving, but I don't think he's getting in.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Had both of those retired at that point in their careers, rather than juiced, they might both be in by now. Had they died or been forced from the game by injuries or illness, even more likely.

Instead, they made conscious decisions to cheat. They knew their Hall worthiness would be determined years later but risked it anyway. Said it before, will say it again: Just because a guy is rich and doesn't need the money doesn't mean you don't prosecute him when he robs a bank.

Guys I voted for before and will again this time: Morris, Raines, Trammell.
    Guy new to the ballot I'll probably vote for now: Biggio.
    Guys I'll wait on deeper into their 15 years of eligibility, to have max info and context: Any alleged or suspected PED user. For me, Year 15 is more important for them than Year 1.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You can pick up to ten, right?

My 'ballot':

Barry Bonds
    Roger Clemens
    Mike Piazza
    Curt Schilling
    Larry Walker
    Don Mattingly
    Mark McGwire
    Tim Raines
    Bernie Williams
    David Wells

It's hard to limit it to 10. I would also vote for Biggio, Sosa, Lofton, Edgar, Bagwell, and Jack Morris.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Where are Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa on the ballot?

12. LongTimeListener

So you know Biggio (and for that matter Morris and Raines and Trammell) didn't take steroids? How do you come by this knowledge?

Draft saved Draft deleted