1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Hall of Fame Screechfest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 28, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He is in the Hall of Fame. And whether or not his numbers in a vacuum call for him to be there, I'd add 10% to every stat just for the abuse he endured his first few years.

And if for no other reason, I don't think anyone has ever appeared in the World Series wearing a Cleveland Indians more than he did. That's got to be worth a plaque

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually covered his induction, mostly because nobody else wanted to go that year. It Doby (a vet pick) and Sutton that year.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's easy to forget that Larry Doby came up three months after Robinson.

All that well-documented racist crap that Robinson endured in 1947? Not only did Doby endure the same thing in the American League, but he didn't have nearly the same type of support system — at home, in the clubhouse, in the front office or in the city — as Robinson had, he hadn't spent a year in the white minor leagues like Robinson had, and he didn't have nearly the life experience that Robinson had.

He was an extraordinary man. He was every bit the American hero that Robinson was. His story deserves 1,000 times more attention than it gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted