1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Men's College Basketball Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Nov 8, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

God, the last 10 minutes of this Michigan State game have been almost unwatchable b/c of whistles. Could drive a man to watch some MAC football.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Shitfuck. Same old UVA.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

From what I've seen so far, Randle>Parker>Wiggins

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Indeed, I'm finding some of these games rather unbearable to watch because of how many fouls they're calling this year. Some this touch shit being whistled is just ridiculous.

I realize what they're trying to do, and to some extent something needed to be done, the physicality and handchecking had gotten out of hand. But, jesus criminy, I think they now may be going too far to the other extreme.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That was fun to watch. :)

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

At the South Carolina-Baylor game last night, it was a minor miracle if either team had a possession where a foul wasn't called. It slowed the game down a bunch.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

With TV Ted in the house, you knew the whistle count was gonna get ramped up even more.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Between the new touch interpretation, and the change in the charge/block rule, they've made it incredibly difficult for defenses to guard penetration without being whistled now.

If it remains like this, I suspect coaches may soon start telling some guys just to drive at the hoop every time they touch the ball whether the lane's open or not. They won't be able to get the charging call, virtually any touch contact will be whistled, no choice but to foul you or let you go.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Applying the Michael Wilbon/Derrick Rose "What's in it for me?" reality test to Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins and Julius Randle, why would they ever play another game outside the NBA?

They are going 1-2-3 and the order is negligable as the spots are slotted. Why risk an injury for John Calipari or Mike Krzyzewski or ESPN? If all goes to plan, they can endow a chair at Kansas, Kentucky or Duke when they are done playing. They can buy their own education and 1 year of college coaching will not move them up in the draft or prolong their careers.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because at the end of the day, players play.

That is what they do and that is what they want do.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not to mention their first NBA contracts will likely be barber tipping money compared to endorsement deals. Saying you're done with college ball because there's nothing in it for you will turn a lot of people off, which isn't what you want to do if you want to get paid nine figures to push Adidas or Vitamin Water or whatever.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This is exactly right. Their "brand" should be way more valuable than any NBA salary they look to pull. This is a great opportunity to build that brand.

Draft saved Draft deleted