1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Men's College Basketball Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Nov 8, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mods can delete if one already exists, but I didn't see it.

Most of the Top 25 is scheduled to dumptruck some poor mid-major tonight. Couple games in South Korea, which is weird.

Tuesday is going to be silly...

No. 1 Kentucky vs. No. 2 Michigan State
    No. 4 Duke vs. No. 5 Kansas
    No. 10 Florida at No. 20 Wisconsin
    No. 14 VCU at No. 24 Virginia.

Pretty awesome slate of games.

Let the games begin.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I don't see how Kentucky or Kansas doesn't win it all, but I'm going with Kentucky. They're loaded. But to be different ill say they play Arizona in the title game.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ugh. Way too early to start regular season games. It's Nov. 8, for crying out loud, which means being subjected to almost five solid months of that.

Back in the day, the NCAA didn't allow regular season games until Dec. 1. Thanksgiving weekend seemed about right to me. Football is winding down, days are shorter, weather is cooler. Still have a whole month to play tournaments and non-conference games before starting the conference schedule after the first of the new year.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree Mark, but that train has sailed. It's dumb for college basketball, as they're trying their product launch in the teeth of the most significant part of the college football season, which is by far the more popular sport. I doubt I'll watch any of those games listed in this thread. I do have a life around here somewhere.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery just might make me care about the Big East this year. Hell, I watched the BC/PC OT just because they were announcing.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Really, no way at all? Jeez, I take it you haven't watched the crapshoot that is the NCAA tournament for long. As for a "how", how bout youth? I'd like to think experience still counts for something, and neither of those teams have much.

Personally, if had to make an NCAA tournament pick right now, I think I might go with Michigan State over UK. The Spartans have a great blend of talent and experience this year, great group of kids, great coach, and I just sorta feel a hunch that this may be their year.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

73 fouls in the Seton Hall-Niagara game, under the new NCAA rules:

http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ssf/2013/11/seton_hall_niagara_73_fouls.html

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe the players should quit fouling?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do the new NCAA rules include targeting, which is reviewable by replay?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Andy Enfield coached his first game for USC Friday night.

He then boarded a cross-country flight to arrive in Gettysburg, Pa., Saturday morning for the funeral of not his high school coach, but the head coach at our high school when Andy's dad was the ninth-grade coach.

It says a lot about Enfield and the man he honored, Jim Dooley.

http://www.eveningsun.com/local/ci_24490732/delone-coach-jim-dooley-remembered-at-memorial-service

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I said it last year...I'll say it this year.
    ESPN can and should be crucified for a lot of things.
    The 24 hour tip off marathon is not one of them.
    Great idea.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

North Texas is hanging in there with OU with seven minutes left.

Draft saved Draft deleted