1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Little League World Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 16, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The marauders from Michigan have now played 10 innings in the LLWS and don't have a hit.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Grosse Pointers are the 1%-ers. Maybe their offspring are trying to match that with their batting average.

3. LongTimeListener

Connecticut coach, with 9-1 lead in fourth, counts his pre-hatched chickens and takes pitcher out at 50-pitch limit so he would be eligible for next game in winner's bracket Wednesday. It's now 9-6 with two on and nobody out, Washington batting in bottom of fifth.

Get the win, man. Worry about Wednesday on Wednesday.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

How many 19-year-olds are playing this year?

5. LongTimeListener

And Connecticut survives on a called third strike (looked low) with the tying runs on base. Coach is going to have a nice tall one tonight celebrating the bullet he dodged.

Star of the tournament is 6-4, 216. Matt Harvey is 6-4, 225.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Watching one of the U.S. teams as my son has played against a handful of the kids on this particular team. He's pretty enthralled watching this and thinks it is cool kids that he has gone up against are on ESPN.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty much any manager of an "all-star" team is going to do that in a double-elimination tourney. Even if the No. 1 pitcher is obviously the king stud, you have to assume the Nos. 2 and 3 guys can protect a 9-1 lead.

You burn up all the big boy's innings today, you could get knocked out in the next two games with him sitting on the bench.

8. LongTimeListener

He wasn't the big boy, though -- he is the #2 and the #1 is ready to go on full rest Wednesday. Planning the pitching, you'd be looking for this guy to come back Thursday or Friday and he would have been able to do that all the way up to the 65-pitch mark today.

Anyway, they survived. Had just enough of a lead, but they got a large amount of good fortune in those last two innings too.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he's got two guys who qualify as "king studs" he is probably in great shape anyway.

Most of these teams have one guy from Krypton and then a long, long dropoff to No. 2.

Although, once again, you should be able to figure your #3 and #4 guys can hold a 9-1 lead -- which as it turned out, they did.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

"When you first came to us, we thought that people would come and take you away because if they found out about the things you could do, well that worried us a lot. But then a man gets older and he thinks very differently better, starts to see things very clear. And there's one thing I do know, son. And that is, you are here for a reason. I don't know whose reason it is, or whatever the reason... maybe it's... I don't know.... but I do know one thing: it's to score touchdowns, hit home runs, and get a SCHOLARSHIP!" -- Jonathan Kent

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I agree with this, except the leading off part.

My opinion, as someone who has called from coach pitch to college, that trying to put the responsibility of holding a runner on a kid under the age of 12 is crazy. It's bad enough they are trying to throw curves, sliders and the like, but having to do that and worry about stealing is nothing more than turning a walk into a triple.

There shouldn't be stealing until middle school. I like the LL rule of leaving when the ball crosses the plate. More focus on the fundamentals.

12. LongTimeListener

Agree, bydesign. And the funny thing is, all that straining the 10-year-olds do to hold runners on is largely meaningless, since it's so easy to steal a base anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted