1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 IIHF World Junior Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Why do I get the feeling if Canada had won this we'd be on Page 9 by now?

USA wins and no one gives a fuck.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because most of the posters on this thread are Canadian and the Canadians got their asses handed to them by a very very good US team. Not much more to say if you are on this side of it. I also think that the games being in the middle of the night didn't help.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Because all the American fans are concentrating on the CBA talk?/bluefont

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For starters, USA Hockey needs to do a better job of marketing.

The tournament is on TSN in Canada, which means a lot more people can watch. Being on NHL Network is certainly a step up compared to five years ago, but it's still a limited audience. I certainly think NBC Sports Network would take a look at getting the rights. They do a lot of NCAA hockey.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The games were on at 4:30 a.m. EST. Sure, a lot of people (like me) DVR'd them and I watched the game against Russia without knowing the score three hours after the game ended.

I heard the score of the semi against the US at work so there was no reason to watch it. And today, HC & I went on a road trip. Wasn't interested in watching Canada play in a Bronze medal game.

There are, in this tournament, every year, four countries who have a a pretty much equal chance of winning: Sweden, Russia, US and Canada.

If I'm Hockey Canada, I'd be more concerned with the less than stellar crop of goalies in the last number of years. We aren't churning out the best ones any more.

Neither Subban nor Binnington lost the tournament but clearly the USA and Russia had far superior netminding

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When the tournament is played in Europe, they can show the game live for the early birds who want to get up and watch it and then replay it later for a larger audience, the way TSN does.

Given some of the crap that passes for programming on some of the cable sports network, it won't surprise me if someone makes a play for that and the World Championships. NBCSN has really been hurt by the NHL lockout. They were planning to show games three nights per week and now are stuck with poker and a lot of reruns.

7. Great, you solved a programming hole for a week and a half. It's not a marketing problem. The hockey culture in the U.S. doesn't care about Juniors.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's too bad because the WJC is really one of the best hockey tournaments of the year. It has the most skilled 19 year olds in the world playing---it's far superior to any university or college hockey

Problem is in Canada it's importance is blown way out of proportion, mostly because of TSN's relentless promotion.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's part of the job of any organization, to get people to care about your product. Part of that is exposure.

Draft saved Draft deleted