1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College hoops coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Mar 24, 2013.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would define advancing to the the second round of the NCAA tournament as competitive.

And I am sure that Minnesota has a nice campus and facilities. But in the the Big Ten the only jobs that are inherently less attractive are clearly Northwestern, Penn State and maybe Iowa. I can easily see Minnesota playing at the bottom of the Big 10 and have trouble imagining scenarios where they consistently play at the top.

2. Grover

Grover New Member

Reports out that Chris Collins could be hired as soon as Wednesday at Northwestern.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-northwestern-chris-collins-20130326,0,4026629.story

Other than Amamker, Brey, and Capel's run with Blake Griffin, the majority of Coach K's coaching tree has struggled. Perhaps Collins will buck that trend.

3. Grover

Grover New Member

And the names surrounding the Texas Tech job, according to Hoop Dirt, are:

Doc Sadler
    Chris Walker (Interim HC at TT)
    Scott Sutton
    Steve McClain (Associate HC at Indiana)
    Barry Hinson

http://hoopdirt.com/blog/981e49d5/texas-tech-rumors/

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your post is full of a lot of local whining about things that the program never will have. You and those columnists will spend the rest of your lives bemoaning the lack of success of Minnesota men's basketball (and, I imagine, football) coaches. Anyone who succeeds at the level you expect and desire will leave town immediately.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. Tubby and UM both profited from the relationship.

Even as a fan, I don't expect UM to dominate in basketball. A good year means a 3rd or 4th-place finish, 20 wins and maybe an NCAA win or two. A bad year is 8-19. The good news is the expectations in football and men's basketball are much more manageable than at most B1G schools.

The new football stadium aside, I don't think UM has the facilities of some other B1G schools. Or the budget. I'd be dumbfounded if some of the coaches mentioned here bolted their current gigs to go to UM (unless they are feeling A LOT of heat at their current spot, like Tubby was at Kentucky). Gophers are still going to lose more recruiting battles than they win when it comes to the real cream of the crop.

It's OK, they've got the Frozen Four to look forward to.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will be very interesting to see where Tubby lands at this point. You could say the same thing about Howland as well.

It would be pretty funny if USC hired Howland.

If UCLA fails to get Smart or Stevens, that will be a pretty epic fail. I saw something that listed Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap as a dark horse, assuming, as I'm sure most are, that he will be not be retained for next season by Boss Jordan.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

At least they were often competitive.

Mason did win at Penn State, at Ohio State, at Michigan. When was the last time the Gophers had the Axe?

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You have no idea what the deal at Minnesota is. This is the land of failed Presidental candidates and the Minnesota Vikings. Minnesota never wins big, well, other than the Twins a couple of times.

Look at what I've posted if you care enough, and I hope you don't, but I am far from a whining local fan boy. Collegiate sports is a business.

You think Reusse is a whining local? Scoggins? Wrong on both counts. What's wrong with being objective?

Is Minnesota a destination job? No. Are the expectations exceedingly high? No. Be competitive.

Look at what Haskins accomplished. He was celebrated. Go through his at his record at Minnesota and tell me that put him in the ranks of the elite at the time. It didn't. Be competitive.

Let's go national. Pat Forde:

The schools were unreasonable, unrealistic and unfair, the cultists said. They have a warped view of their place in the college basketball hierarchy. They were lucky to have those coaches and will be even luckier to find a replacement as good.

And so forth.

Pardon me for not sharing their outrage.

More:

In the case of Smith, he gave Minnesota six years of good and zero years of great. And with a salary of nearly $2 million this year, the school was paying for great (or at least really, really good). Tubby had a losing Big Ten record and took the Gophers to three NCAA tournaments in those six seasons, never getting better than a No. 10 seed and winning just one of three NCAA games. That, coincidentally, came against Howland and UCLA Friday night.

But there are significant off-court reasons why the two schools are justified to make a change, even if it means firing a big name and incurring the wrath of the Cult of the Coach members.

http://sports.yahoo.com/author/pat-forde/

Tubby being really good would have been just fine, and I don't think it was unrealistic to set the bar there. That was the expectation. He wasn't. Nice man, but coaching is a tough business.

Will Minnesota land a big name coach? My guess is no. But it was time for a change.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think Minnesota will hire a big-name coach because it has to and will overpay for the wrong person just to get a name if it can't get its first few choices.

I don't know that it will come to that. Maybe Shaka Smart loves the AD so much he'll head there.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I don't think they get their first couple of choices. Speaking of which..

Norwood Teague announces Tubby is gone and answers Sid's questions at 3:30, 9:25 and 16:20. Looks like he tries not to smile at 16:50.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bias does not mean favoritism. Norrin Radd calling Tom Crean a bad coach is fan biased, too. Claiming Tubby Smith wasn't competitive is biased. You have expectations for your team, the team you're familiar with, not necessarily the team you root for. It's unavoidable.

12. Mizzougrad96

I don't think they do either.

They'll probably wind up with a coach from a mid-major that made a run in the NCAAs this year. Maybe someone like Gregg Marshall. Not that that would be a bad hire, but he's probably clearly not one of their top three or five choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted