1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College hoops coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Minnesota, and the other non-top-tier B1G schools, need to go with a different style and a different system. If a new coach comes into a program which is not a marquee attraction and tries to recruit the same players to run the same system as the league powerhouses, it's a losing battle.

That's what Michigan is doing and it seems to be paying off. They have a lot of highly-touted recruits but they weren't all high on the lists for the sumo-wrestling teams. And now that Michigan has been good for a couple seasons it is back on the radar for the 'burger boys.'

IU is playing a real fast pace this year but IMO that may just be a temporary aberration because they have Oladipo, a lightning bolt, on the roster. Left to his own devices I get the feeling Crean would want to go to grind-it-out ball like his mentor Izzo.

But IMO a guy like Smart or Stevens could get better faster at one of the mid-tier schools playing an uptempo style.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, the same things I'm hearing about what UCLA is looking for in the next coach - youth, energy, style - are the things Lavin had and why they wanted more of an x and o guy when they dumped him.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Huh?

Lavin was a fucking idiot. Any high school coach in the state could have done better with that talent.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that - but the Bruins were regularly in the Sweet 16 with him and figured a more x and o guy would get the program to the next level. Now you hear they want a guy with a more exciting style of play to energize the program.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's always the balance.

Run-and-gun, replaced by x/o coach, replaced by new run-and-gun.

Yet Smart is also probably going to hit that breaking point soon. Where he knows there is a ceiling to what he can do at VCU. Once he leaves, it will likely become the next UMass, George Mason, Wisc-Milwaukee where decline sets in.

However, Smart will likely never be a hotter property than now. He only gets one shot picking the "right" big school. He can do better than Minnesota. UCLA?

The eventual retirement of Bo Ryan intrigues me. Tony Bennett is royalty at UW. But Smart grew up 10 miles from Madison. If Smart stays hot at VCU, would Wisconsin take him instead?

6. Starman

Wisconsin won't go with a run-and-gun coach unless:

1) The Big Ten and probably the NCAA overall, institute a major change in officiating or rules standards which drastically curtail the effectiveness of body-slam defense and facilitate high-tempo offense, AND

2) The Badgers go about 20-80 over a 3-year period as a result.

Unless both of those happen, they will stay with the sludgeball philosophy.

Ryan will coach till he retires, then they'll bring in Bennett or another young stall-baller.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

20 years ago, they finally hit some success at Wisconsin when Stu Jackson came in as forced the tempo up. Once Dick Bennett came in, he found his "mold" of player and became the first stall-baller to find success in the Big Ten in the shot-clock era. Yet, for as revered as Bennett was at Wisconsin, he still had two ugly first-round NCAA exits before their FF run in 2000.

8. Starman

Bennett's pinnacle achievement at Wiscy -- the 2000 Final Four -- resulted in the 53-42 loss to Sparty, a game immortalized in the Ex-Lax Constipation Hall of Fame.

9. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I'd look forward to those scintillating 42-37 final scores when the Badgers & Gophers get together.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know the former VCU AD is at Minnesota, but I can't imagine Smart taking that job.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bennett would be a good hire for Minnesota.

I don't see Jay Wright leaving Villanova or Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for Minnesota.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Bennett isn't going anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted