1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College hoops coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

no, hell no -- they need somebody young and fresh, not a worn-out dude over 60.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm a little surprised about Howland and Tubby, but it goes to show that if a school pays out a lot of money for a coach, you'd better win and win fast.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So when was the last time two guys coached against each other in the first round of the NCAA Tournament then were both out of work by the following Monday?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see why anyone would be surprised about Howland. UCLA folks weren't even all that happy when they were going to the Final Four, because the style was so godawful boring. Then they've been a mid-tier program for the last few years, and the SI story was a complete embarrassment that was costing them quite a bit in recruitment. Yes, they got Muhammad, but they still aren't kings of the West Coast; as one example, Aaron Gordon is one of the top recruits in the nation but never had UCLA on his list because his brother Drew had such a bad experience before transferring.

It wasn't looking up at all for them.

5. JosephC.Myers

Yeah, you'd think getting to the second round of the NCAA's might be enough for you to keep your job, much less getting to the NCAA's, but I guess not.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If I'm Minnesota... I think the priority list goes Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and - if those two do not work out... bring Tony Bennett as close to "home" as he will get without being in Wisconsin.

I'll never understand how Minnesota isn't better in basketball. They are the only Big Ten campus (I'm not counting Northwestern as they have academics and are in Evanston) in a truly major-metro area which should be a recruiting draw - both for in-state and around the region.

When I lived there, I always though having an actual "media", complete with two competing papers, kept the need to stay clean much higher at Minnesota than every other Big Ten town with their relative "wink-and-nod media".

7. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I think you have a point about the media coverage - the academic fraud under Haskins, while plenty bad, wasn't that much worse than you'll find at a lot of places; it's just not certain that in those other places there are reporters as dogged as George Dohrmann was in exposing it. Going further back, though, anybody would have reported on the multiple rape charges and horrible academic performance under Dutcher, and the rampant NCAA violations under Musselman.

And while the facilities are old and that's a real issue, in some ways it's a better job than ever because the talent pool in Minnesota is so much better than it used to be. Twenty years ago and more you could only get big men out of Minnesota, but nowadays there's enough in-state talent at all positions that if you can get the top ones to stay home you've got a good start.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sludgeball coaches taking jobs at any of the second-tier B1G basketball schools (Minny, NW, Iowa, PSU, Nebraska, Rutgers) are pretty much dooming themselves to setting fourth place as your program ceiling.

Wiscy plays sludgeball. Sparty plays sludgeball. OSU plays sludgeball. All three of those teams are perennial top-20 teams. If you come in to one of the second-tier league schools and try to install a sludgeball system, the players you will be trying to recruit will be the guys high on the lists of those teams. You are going to lose most of those battles.

(Under their current coaches, Purdue and Illinois play sludgeball too, so when and if they get good you will be butting your head against them as well.)

I think in large part that's what sunk Tubby. He was trying to do the same thing the big boys were already doing (better).

9. JosephC.Myers

Yeah, it's going to be hard to sell a top-notch coach on a situation where the best you can do most years is 4th place.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why the fuck would Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens or any coach of any reputation take the Minnesota job? The program is lame, it is a fucking joke and a graveyard for coaches. This school was really stupid to fire Tubby Smith because he is as good as it gets for them.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

HELL TO THE NAW

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think you have much to worry about until Bo Ryan hangs it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted