1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think everyone expects that Mississippi State will have 3-4 losses before the season is done, but I could still see a team making a run at Mullen.

I wouldn't want him. I think some of the interest that was rumored by other teams was overstated, but I could see him getting another job after this season.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My very mediocre sources tell me he has his heart set on a bigger SEC gig and would love to go to Arkansas, Auburn or Tennessee.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll be mentioned for all of those openings (assuming they happen). I wouldn't think he'd be anyone's first choice, but I could see him winding up with one of those jobs.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't leave Starkville for the Arkansas job right now.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not without a burner phone.

Who else should we keep tabs on here? Other than the obvious dead coaches walking, the only one I can think of is Paul Johnson wearing out his welcome at Tech.

6. Armchair_QB

David Bailiff at Rice is probably a goner.

Mike Price might retire.

And I'm sure Todd Graham will be leaving for a new job...

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Spaziani is done at BC.

Does Butch Davis resurface?

8. Armchair_QB

Forgot about BC.

Mike London may be on shaky ground as well.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, think about it. Before you win a national title, you usually need to have a string of pretty successful seasons. Very rare to go from 6-5 to national champs the next year.

And unless the coach leaves for a pro job AFTER winning the national title (Howard Schellenberger, Jimmie Johnson, etc.) chances are you'll have a decent record for the next few years.

I think the Auburn decision comes down to which you believe is the rule and which you believe is the exception: 13-0 or 4-8.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true. Fan base wants to think of them as the equal of Alabama, Georgia or Florida, but they're not.

And Dooley's only been there, what, three years?

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can't fathom Saban leaving Alabama any time soon. He's got everything he could possibly want there, including complete control of the program and alums eating out of his pocket.

Saban's been an NFL head coach, so he probably understands it's not all it's cracked up to be. 11-5 can turn to 7-9 pretty darn quickly in a league as balanced as that. And you can't recruit or brainstorm your way out of the hole real fast, either.

That's why I've always said a good, successful big-time college coaching gig is far better than an NFL gig.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ellis Johnson will probably get at least another year at Southern Miss, but he probably shouldn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted