1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised he didn't wind up at Notre Dame. I remember his name came up for the Florida job a couple different times, but it was hard to see how serious a candidate he ever was. I'm pretty sure he interviewed for the Miami job, which was the one where one of the papers listed his alleged demands which included unlimited use of a jet and that his brother be guaranteed to be his successor if he stepped down. It seemed insane, even for coaches...

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on another thread, Larry Coker is probably the second-worst coach to win a national title in the last 20 years, and his career record is almost 50 games over .500.

Hell, even Danny Ford won two-thirds of his games. And Bobby Ross has a pretty good career record when you take out The Citadel and Army.

3. Mizzougrad96

There were rumblings at Florida that Meyer couldn't win without Tebow, although I don't think too many people put too much stock into that one, and it wasn't like Meyer didn't have a lot of success long before he got to Florida, even if it was at schools in smaller conferences.

Chizik was a reach when he was hired and that's catching up to him now. I'm just really curious who Auburn would look to. Mullen? Petrino?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just being a smartass, as I expect the rest of my post proved. Meant no disrespect to the Vandals, who have one of the greatest names in college sports.

5. Steak Snabler

The fan base is starting to clamor for Petrino, though I'm not sure if the people making the decision would go for it.

After that, I don't really know. Dabo Swinney would be a good fit as a recruiter (he already raids Alabama on a regular basis), but he's an Alabama guy so he probably wouldn't take the job.

Charlie Strong maybe? They'd probably have to compete with Arkansas for him.

6. TigerVols

Candy's James Franklin might have greener pastures awaiting as well.

7. Mizzougrad96

If I was Auburn, I'd go with Petrino...

8. TigerVols

Scuttlebutt in Knoxville is that the Haslams (daddy who owns Flying J/Pilot Oil, brother who ones the Browns, and brother who is Gov) are still very active in UTAD (Peyton was sitting in their box w/ one of them on Saturday) and that the Haslams and the guy who owns Dish TV (another UTAD booster) have already written the Dooley buyout checks (upwards of $5 million when you include staff). Further completely baseless Internet speculation has Haslam arranging a double deal, with Jon to the Vols and Jay to the Browns. Or maybe Saban to the Browns with Jay as OC.

All of the above is posted with a rather large grain of salt.

9. Mizzougrad96

You certainly hear that... I've never understood why though...

10. Mizzougrad96

It would be amazing to see what it might take to lure Saban away from Tuscaloosa. I guess there is part of me that wonders if he still feels like he has something to prove in the NFL, but I still would be surprised to see him leave Bama.

11. Steak Snabler

Another potential name for Auburn is Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart. In addition to his credentials as a coach and recruiter, he's got roots in that part of the state. He was born in Montgomery when his dad was coaching at Holtville High before moving to Georgia.

But I still figure he's content to wait out the Georgia and/or Alabama jobs.

12. Mizzougrad96

Is Smart the heir apparent at Bama, or do they not think like that there because the thought of Nicky and his Lil Debbies going to the NFL puts them into the fetal position?

Draft saved Draft deleted