1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dooley, Chizik, Smith and...Phillips, I guess?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Mullen will leave as well, maybe for one of the other SEC openings.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ah, hadn't factored in upward mobility.

4. Mizzougrad96

Pretty much agree with every word.

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Not questioning the validity of it, other than I'm not sold on him wanting to take on all the extra baggage (recruiting, dealing with the boosters, dealing with 18-22 year old kids, etc.) that comes with college coaching. Tennessee makes as much sense as any place.

Might come from being from South Bend & how convinced the locals were that he couldn't say no to ND (don't have a clue if he was ever approached), due to his attending HS here, etc..

Just seems like his name seems to be in every conversation & every place seems to have SOME sort of connection. Then again, I heard the same sort of stuff w/ Meyer and tOSU (grad asst., got his masters there, he and the wife Ohio natives) & that had legs.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At some point with Gruden, you just have to conclude he isn't all that interested in coaching. He did just sign a five-year deal with ESPN that goes through 2016. I know those things can be overcome, but the fact that they have shrunk the booth and built the telecast around him -- for reasons that remain unfathomable to me -- is an indication that this is where he wants to be.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Akey was well-known on the West Coast for his work at Wazzu before he went to the Vandals. The same with Gesser, a QB on a Wazzu Rose Bowl team and a well-known (albeit sometimes not well-spoken) regional TV commentator. And most interim coaches are less-qualified than their predecessor.

It's a big country. Those guys were/are just as well know on the West Coast as Dooley and Mullens were in SEC country when they got hired.

And has been said elsewhere, whoever takes the Idaho job has a big task ahead of him.

8. Mizzougrad96

The reason for Gruden to go to college would be that he would get the hero's reception and absolute power that he craves. He'd definitely get that at Tennessee.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And at Notre Dame, and at Florida, and at Ohio State, and at about a half-dozen other schools where his name has been floated in the last decade.

I seriously doubt he would go back to college. His quarterbacks need to spend a hell of a lot more time in official meetings, learning the offense and the weekly game plan, than they're allotted by the NCAA.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think a lot of the speculation comes from recent comments he made about wanting to get back into coaching. I think he would be crazy to leave a gig as cush as the one he has, but with these guys, their egos are so out of control that they have to be wooed every year even if they have no desire to leave.

I read something about Gruden being an option in Philly if Reid is fired or steps down and I could see that job being one that would pique his interest.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dirty little secret: Tennessee's reputation is running ahead of its checkbook. The last few years of shite football (and former AD Mike Hamilton doing all he could to piss off the fan base) has led to unsold tickets and even more empty seats. The Haslam family has the biggest wallet, but now they have the Browns as their football plaything. Four years later, Vols folks are still split between pro- and anti-Fulmer factions. And all of this is before calculating potential damages from the discrimination suits from the aftermath of shoving Pat Summitt's cronies out the door.

Think I'll smoke a cigar now.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think this is a key factor, too. Even among the most rabid Auburn fans, I doubt there are many who think Newton's recruitment was clean and done within the rules.

So now it becomes the view that Chizik only can win and be competitive when he has a Heisman Trophy winner bought and delivered to him. Which probably is true. I think I saw it on a game telecast in the last couple of weeks, that in the history of college football, there are no coaches who have won national titles who also have an under-.500 career record. Chizik is 36-35 right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted