1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ferentz seemed like a hot commodity 5-6 years ago. Now? I dunno.

I don't really think any of the big names ---- Saban, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, etc. --- will go pro. Just got far too much to lose when they can stay where they are and win year after year.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

But he then inked a deal where he would get millions and millions if he was released, without cause. Almost a "coach for life" contract. Now they're 4-8.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

O'Brien supposedly has $9 million buyout if he leaves now.

What has Ferentz done to justify a NFL job?

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not much lately. But he's another from the Belichick family tree, and the way some like to put it is that his "coaching style translates very well to the NFL"

But he's of the age where I think the window is either closed or closing quickly on making a move to the NFL.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would think Ferentz' time has passed for a NFL job but they mentioned his name on one of the pregame shows today.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Ferentz face critical questions in a real media market as an NFL coach. I saw a couple of his pressers this season, and he has about the thinnest skin you can imagine for a veteran football coach.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

@DerekDooley: 4. Enjoying taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales...not surprised to see orange pants on clearance for over a month.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Syracuse promotes defensive coordinator Scott Shafer:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20130109/SPORTS09/301090033/Syracuse-University-Scott-Shafer-head-football-coach

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, this thread looks to be quieter than most of us thought it would be right about now...

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ted Roof on the move again, this time back to Georgia Tech.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/blogs/footblog/2013/01/09/ted_roof_leaves_penn_state_for_georgia_tech_john_butler_promoted.aspx

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Louisville's Charlie Strong gets 8-year extension worth $3.7 MM per, according to Brett McMurphy on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/294127755367436288

12. Mizzougrad96

That's actually significantly lower than I remember what was originally reported. I thought at the time that he was turning down whatever SEC job it was at the time that it was $4.5 a year... But eight years is just awesome... It will be hilarious if that becomes commonplace for top coaches... Schools will be seriously fucked as soon as someone signs one of those and then shits the bed.

Draft saved Draft deleted