1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football Coaching Carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

James Franklin took out a half-page ad giant picture of himself in today's Tennessean:

[​IMG]

It's easy to tell how he's such a great recruiter after crafting such a heartfelt message.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Vandy hiring Stanford's Derek Mason, chosen over Brian Schottenheimer.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a good choice. He came up with the game plans that beat Oregon, and he knows how to work with a recruiting pool of smart kids.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, it's a good hire. I would have gone after Chad Morris, but Vandy might not have wanted someone who would likely be gone after a year or two if he was successful.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Chad Morris probably cost too much.

Got a friend who works at Vandy (not athletic department). She said they got a memo right after Christmas that salaries were likely to be cut this year because the university's top expense was salary.

If you're Morris, do you feel that you have to go somewhere this year? If you don't see a gig that you really like all that much, stay put and see what's available next year.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bill Clark becomes the latest to make a relatively quick transition from high school to FBS head coach. He's the new guy at UAB, six years after he was at Prattville (Ala.) HS:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/new_uab_head_football_coach.html

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If he's anything like Art Briles, he'll do fine. I suspect there are a lot of high school coaches capable of coaching at the collegiate level.

Some may be old enough to remember Gerry Faust, who went straight from a high school job to being head coach at Notre Dame in the early 1980s. He was OK, not great, and the expectations were to be top 10 every year, not 8-4. I think that experience, and how high profile it was at the time, scared some people away from hiring a high school guy.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mark, you don't seriously believe salary cuts at Vanderbilt apply to the football coach, do you?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clark was DC at South Alabama for the previous 5 years before
    HC job at Jacksonville St so it's not like he's jumping right
    from HS like Faust did.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think cost would have prevented Morris from being hired at Vandy. I could also see some being wary of the Vandy job, because now that job comes with some level of expectations.

I just always hate when we hear how great this assistant is or that assistant is and this year, it's Kirby Smart again and Morris. I don't believe for a second that if Saban retired that Smart would get the job, but that did happen at Oregon. I'm not sure what job Morris is eyeing.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It stinks for Vanderbilt that this is happening so late in the year, although, it can't be any worse than when Bobby Johnson quit in the summer a few years ago so that one of his assistants would get the interim job.

I can't imagine the Vanderbilt job has a great upside. It's an SEC school but one that has probably peaked. Franklin was an ideal coach for that place at that time. Once the Vandy fans start expecting a bowl game two years out of every three -- and if the SEC East finally returns to its normal level -- the next coach will likely get booted after four years.

Draft saved Draft deleted