1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football Coaching Carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 19, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If Kliff Kingsbury does well at Tech, look for Scott Frost's name to get increased attention at Nebraska.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have bought Saban leaving Alabama at all before reading the GQ profile a few weeks ago, but that presented a it as a situation where, despite the championships, Saban and Bama fans aren't entirely comfortable with each other.

Saban could do without the obsessiveness, and it's not the same at Texas. Texans love to prove they have the biggest dick to swing and the most money to toss around, and landing Saban would do that, but it's a different culture than Alabama. Bama like how much Saban wins. They like it a lot, but don't understand why Nicky can't act more like the Bear while he's doing it.

I also think Saban might have a bit of Larry Brown's restlessness. He's never stayed anywhere too long and might think he needs a change of scenery.

I wouldn't put my money on him leaving just yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if he does.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Texas is really the only other college job that makes sense for Saban.

There are probably other schools that could afford him, but one would certainly think that Saban wouldn't fit in at USC or Nebraska. I think he has a clause in his contract that he can't leave for another SEC job, which would make sense.

I don't think he's going to Texas, I think his agent just probably took the meeting as a "just a reminder that we have all the power..." to Alabama, which obviously will do just about anything to keep him. I think if he walked in and demanded $10 mil a year, he would get it with minimal struggle.

But who knows? After he wins his third title in a row, he might start thinking, "I'm the best of all-time and you people still worship that Bear fellow. Show me some respect or I'm going to Austin." :D

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But he can. Show-cause just means the school and coach have to convince the NCAA that he will be a good boy. Typically it isn't worth the trouble so it becomes a de facto ban. But for the Chipper, it could be worth the trouble.

5. Mizzougrad96

He's not leaving after one season, even for Texas or USC.

6. LongTimeListener

Petrino ... Holtz ... Al Groh ... Any others who spent one season in the NFL and realized it wasn't for them?

7. Jake_Taylor

Don't you figure the plan for Kelly is to wait out the show cause in the NFL unless he's successful enough to stick in the pros?

8. LongTimeListener

Probably. 90 percent probable.

The other 10 percent represents the amount of money Texas could throw at him. I mean, if they're already looking at Nick Saban, everybody is going to want to take a listen to exactly what their budget is for that position.

9. Jake_Taylor

But if you are Texas, or anybody else, what do you do if you hire him and the NCAA denies your attempt to get him reinstated? Do you put an assistant in charge for a year? Cancel the deal and move on? It might be pretty late in the game to find a top notch coach by that point.

10. LongTimeListener

I don't think the NCAA poses any kind of threat or obstacle to a power school anymore.

11. Mizzougrad96

Saban said, "I'm too damn old to start over at a new job." yesterday at one of his weekly fellatio fests...

I know he has a history of lying his ass off about this kind of stuff, but I tend to think he might be telling the truth this time...

As far as Kelly goes, he's making $8 million a year in Philly. It's hard to imagine a college matching that for him, but as we saw several years ago in Alabama, big, rich schools start throwing around crazy money when the football team starts becoming a laughingstock. $8 million for Saban? Sure... Kelly?

I wonder if Texas would look at Muschamp.

12. Mizzougrad96

Not unless it's a USC type situation where everything is handed to them on a silver platter.

Draft saved Draft deleted