1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Baseball- Road to Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 23, 2013.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Little school down the road from me (and tournament virgin) isn't even a 4 seed. Bryant U. #3 in Manhattan, vs. Arkansas. With Wichita State as the #4, smells like uno, dos, adios, though.
    Big 2013 for the D-1 newcomer from Smithfield, RI. Men's hoops: from 1 to 19 wins and its first postseason bid (CBI). Men's lacrosse gets its first NCAA bid (coached by Mike Pressler, forced out of Duke by the rape scandal). He's turned down offers from big lax schools out of loyalty to Bryant, which was D-2 when they hired him.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Regionals underway today and Bama looks to be in the biggest trouble so far. Down 5-1 to Troy in the seventh.

Clemson keeping with ACC tradition and losing to Liberty early.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Clemson played terrible down the stretch. Liberty played great down the stretch. That's kind of holding to form today.

4. Armchair_QB

Yep. 7-2 Liberty now. And Troy just finished off Bama.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Wichita State needed three pitchers to get out of the first inning against K-State. Second inning is just starting and it's already 9-2, Wildcats.

I only briefly watched Troy-Alabama, but this game has been rife with audio difficulties. For awhile at the start, they were having to call the game from a feed in Charlotte. Any other games having issues?

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Spent way too much time today trying to find the CWS theme song they played one year when I was in college. I learned during this time that there's a startling amount of songs about Omaha.

Anyway, because it made me happy, I'm sharing the fruits of my labor:

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Has the SEC been taking lessons from the ACC?
    Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss and Texas A&M all lost their openers, and Mississippi State isn't a gimme tonight against Central Arkansas. Ye gods.

8. Armchair_QB

Vandy must have missed that class. Dores are jumping on ETSU early.

EDIT: Final count for the day: The four SEC host teams won, the five who were sent on the road lost. That includes Arkansas losing to Bryant.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bryant won? Awesome!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If anyone has Comcast, ESPN is doing whip-around coverage on its whip-around channel on the sports tier. Kind of like they do on college football Saturdays, and big basketball nights, or like the MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA networks do. Good way to take in some of the games outside of your region, if you get it.
    No idea if it's on Dish or DirectTV, but since it's an ESPN product I'm guessing it is.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Army is eliminated by UNC-Wilmington with one of its biggest fuck-ups since Vietnam.
    UNCW led 9-4, top ninth. Army has runners on first and second with no outs and calls a hit and run. The batter strikes out, runner on second delayed his start for third and gets caught in a rundown. He runs back to second, where the other guy is standing. For some reason, the guy from first steps off the bag and is tagged out for out No. 2 just as the lead runner thinks he has to keep going. Lead runner is thrown out five feet short of third base for a game- and season-ending triple play.
    Bizarre.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Down goes Florida, to mighty Valpo. There's a reason it lost so many regular-season games, and it wasn't because it played a hard schedule. It was an average team that shouldn't even have received a sniff of postseason.

Again the results on the field (which the Selection Committee continues to ignore year after year) suggest that NO conference merits 8 or 9 teams in a 64-team field, and that to have almost half of the at-large bids (15) come from two leagues was a big mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted