1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Baseball- Road to Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 23, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I like the "Let's Eliminate California" bracket. UCLA, SDSU, Cal Poly and San Diego at the same regional, and the winner probably faces CSU Fullerton.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The aformentioned Central Arkansas ends up in what might be the most competitive regional, top to bottom -- UCA vs. Mississippi State, and South Alabama vs. Mercer.
    UCA took two of three in Starkville, and Mississippi State needed to score two in the ninth to beat South Alabama in a midweek game in April. Central Arkansas, with 39 wins, is the only one of the four with less than 40.
    Mercer has beaten Ohio State, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech in midweek games. Not bad for a small-conference team.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Starkville Regional is going to be a bear. UCA beat Miss State twice in the regular season. Mercer and South Alabama are both very good.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Batman and I are sharing a brain, it seems.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Typical NCAA bullshit. Very aggravating.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess they could have split some of them up and sent Poly and USD to Oregon and Oregon State, but the options were pretty limited since the NCAA tries to limit travel in the regional round.

One of those teams would have probably been sent to ASU had the Devils earned a host role.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yep, happens virtually every year.

The OSU and UO regionals already include a Big West and WCC team. I think Poly or USD would have loved to go to Indiana or anyplace not on the West Coast.

SDSU, on the other hand, was the champ of the worst (by far) of the four West Coast conferences and probably got sent to the right place.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In a normal year that happens to Texas teams too.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is one of those years where I swear the NCAA baseball committee sees Calif. as this remote outpost that one must travel to via Wells Fargo stage. It appears only San Francisco escaped ... only to be sent to Eugene.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The West Coast teams have been screwed in the brackets for years. Protect the alleged "powerhouses."

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know seems the philosophy is to keep teams in their time zones and keep conferences from playing each other until Omaha. Yeah, teams in the West and South have to kill each other off to get to Omaha.
    Hard to believe Arizona and Stanford didn't make it in. Appel's next pitch will be as a pro.

12. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Roar, Lion, roar.
    Go Columbia !!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted