1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 all-purpose golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 17, 2013.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Mods, feel free to delete this if repeated. I didn't see one already up, so why not start one now.

Gotta say, it's mighty nice to come home from a long night of high school wrestling to find live golf on at midnight with Rory, Tiger and Martin still having to play the back nine. Actually, the front nine, but whatever. Guess I'll be up until 3 a.m., when they should finish. If there's one hope I have, it's that Rory finishes this year No. 1.

Is this course in Abu Dhabi in the middle of a desert? I don't get all this green (and the large cutouts of what looks like palaces, but whatever).

And Tiger just topped his drive on the 10th (1st) hole, so that made my night.

2. Rory walks off 18.

Per TBL

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Corky actually created his first but mine has 3 pages!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/94404/

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Story I heard is it was problems with a wisdom tooth.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Spoiler alert....

Tiger Woods tearing up Doral. 12-under through 11 holes of his second round, leads by two. Graeme McDowell, Phil Mickelson, Steve Stricker, Bubba Watson, Justin Rose (defending champ) all playing well and in contention at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami. Ton of fun watching these guys make shots.

Shaping up as a heck of a weekend for golf fans.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Geez, Tiger Woods looks like he did 5-6 years ago. Driving well, great iron play, putting great. Not a real weakness this week as he drubbed a good field at the Cadillac Championship. Interested to see if he keeps this going and has another stellar year.

Steve Stricker had a tremendous week, especially putting, and finished a distant second, while banking a nice payday.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When Tiger hits his driver well, he blows it by most of the field. Guess the good news is his only miss now is right (and way right sometimes) and he's eliminated the dead pull hook. He still hits his irons farther than 90% of the field; and his wedge play has improved tremendously from the past 3 years.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Up and down, back and forth at the PGA Tour Tampa Bay Championship.

Boo Weekley shoots a bogey-free 63 to move from 35th to a tie for the lead with Kevin Streelman. Jim Furyk and defending champ Luke Donald still in the hunt, but need a strong finish.

9. Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Woods, Ya'll!

Guess who's got a two-stroke lead as we go into the final round at Bay Hill.
    Woods didn't look so hot closing out his day Friday dropping four shots over the last few holes to go from a tie for the lead to 5-under.
    Saturday, he shot a low-round 66 and has a two-stroke lead over the field as tries for an eighth career win at the event, tying a PGA Tour Record.*

*Without looking, I think the record is held by Sam Snead, who routinely cleaned house at the Greater Greensboro Open.

I'm not going to say Woods is back, but he's certainly playing some better golf this year. Putting better anyway. His drives are still shaky, but the iron and putting play is strong.
    At this point, I think he's going to be the odds-on favorite at Augusta.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Tiger trailed by five at the turn on Saturday and wasn't hitting fairways. But he made nearly every putt he looked at and went birdie-eagle on 15 and 16 to take the lead as Justin Rose faltered on the back nine.

Tiger birdies No. 2 to extend the lead to three shots right before played suspended because of weather. Ricky Fowler among the players three behind.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ohh dear God. The Palmer is his own personal playground. Him dominating there doesn't shock or impress me. Even in some of his worst years he has managed to win at Bay Hill.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, but if he wins today it would be his third win this year. It's only March. That's pretty impressive. I'm wondering if he could be on pace for one of those dominating years like a decade ago, with 6-7 wins, including a couple of majors.

Draft saved Draft deleted