1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-2014 NCAA Football Bowl-A-Rama: The End of the BCS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think the team that drafts McCarron will regret it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This won't hurt his draft stock.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/nfl-scout-says-aj-mccarron-reminds-him-of-tom-brady-120313

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would put the over/under on the "next Tom Bradys" in the past 10 drafts at 17 1/2. And yet still, no next Tom Brady.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

McCarron's not THAT good, but (and I've said this before) I could see him as a Matt Hasselbeck- or Neil O'Donnell-type — a guy who hangs around 10 or 12 years and plays in three Pro Bowls and maybe a Super Bowl.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. You can't reasonably predict he'll be Tom Brady. However, despite the fact that he's very underwhelming, I'm not going to predict he'll be a career backup, either. I really don't know what to make of him at the NFL level. I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way: good starter or clipboard holder.

I'll definitely take the under on 3 Pro Bowls, though.

6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it's an absurd comparison. There was a stretch where there was a guy compared to Brett Favre in almost every draft. Rex Grossman, JP Losman, Charlie Frye... It didn't work out too well for those guys.

I don't know who McCarron reminds me of. Maybe Alex Smith?

Derek Carr's stock seems to be skyrocketing. CBS rates McCarron as a second or third rounder right now.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

McCarron can't run like Smith.

And Grossman DID get to a Super Bowl.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yep, that was all Rexy.

9. Mizzougrad96

He has been able to hang around the league for more than a decade which is always a decent accomplishment. I really thought he was going to have a better career than he did. He showed some great flashes at the beginning of the Super Bowl year, but then faded really quickly.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, good. That debate is always fun!

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Every bit of that is wrong. LSU would not have gotten in the BCS title game without the victory over Georgia in the SEC championship game. Every game through the conference championships, Big 12 included, counted. It's just that OU had such a big lead going in, the hit it took for losing was not enough to drop it from No. 1. A big part of that was its standing in the computer rankings.

As someone alluded to, there were tweaks that later gave more weight to the polls and less to the computers.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So let's say Winston is charged today and has to sit out the ACC championship. How much of a chance would that give Duke? Are the Blue Devils maybe two-touchdown underdogs in that scenario?

I really can't imagine this FSU team without Winston, so it is hard to say how good they would be without him. Needless to say, there are a lot of Duke fans eagerly awaiting that announcement.

Draft saved Draft deleted