1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-2014 NCAA Football Bowl-A-Rama: The End of the BCS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 1, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't watch an Iron Bowl rematch for the national title?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/onthemark-131202/examining-scenarios-national-title-game

If FSU and Ohio State both lose, and Auburn beats Mizzou.....perhaps?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't believe a one-loss SEC team has ever been selected over an undefeated team from a BCS conference.

Closest was Utah in '08, but everyone knows Utah couldn't play with the big boys, right?

;D

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know that's probably the game the most people want and would get the best ratings. That's the matchup I definitely do not want. I hate rematches.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. No, no, no. That game was played. It was an absolutely classic. I don't want to see it played again. It would ruin it, especially if Alabama won this time around.

Reminds me of 1988. A lot of people thought Miami should get another crack at Notre Dame. No. Don't mess with perfection.

5. Mizzougrad96

Was TCU undefeated when they won the Rose Bowl? I know that before they switched conferences. Same deal with Boise several years back.

6. Mizzougrad96

Florida and Alabama have both won titles because they got rematches. I hated it both times.

7. JackReacher

Assuming FSU and Ohio State win this weekend, what would a possible 4-team playoff look like using next year's model?

FSU and Ohio State are in, obviously. SEC champ for sure. That leaves one. Do you take Alabama, who lost one game on the flukiest of plays? A one-loss Big 12 champ? Northern Illinois? Everyone loves Cinderella, at least in March.

8. LongTimeListener

It would be Alabama in a landslide, Sonner.

9. JackReacher

Yeah. Probably so.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Marcus Mariota returning to Oregon for junior year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000292344/article/oregon-qb-marcus-mariota-will-return-for-redshirt-junior-season

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No surprise there.

Steak,

The Rose Bowl hasn't always had a Pac 8/10/12 team. I remember there was a ton of talk in 2004 when they passed on a Pac 10 team (can't remember who) and took Texas to play against Michigan. USC was in the Orange Bowl as the No. 1 team and no other Pac-10 teams went to a BCS game that year. In 2002, they took Oklahoma over Big Ten winner Iowa. So, while they seem to prefer Big 10 vs. Pac-12 (and I understand that), it's not 100 percent set in stone.

I can't see a reason why they wouldn't take teams from those conferences this year.

12. LongTimeListener

They didn't pass on a Pac-10 team. Mack Brown lobbied Texas past Cal in the final BCS standings and into an automatic top-four BCS spot, and the Rose was the only place they could land.

The Rose Bowl would have killed hobos to get Cal to that game.

Draft saved Draft deleted