1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-2014 NCAA Football Bowl-A-Rama: The End of the BCS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What would have been interesting would be the same scenario if Alabama was still No.1 undefeated and lost in the SEC title game with FSU and OSU losing.

Losing to a top 5 team obviously hurts less than losing to Duke (a top 20 team).

Was it Oklahoma that got its ass kicked in the Big 12 title game and still played for the national title?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought it was Nebraska, but that might have been a regular-season game.

3. Mizzougrad96

It was. That year, Colorado beat Nebraska and then beat Texas in the Big 12 title game.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not being too hip to Pac 12 football... does Oregon really travel all that bad considering it's basically the U of Nike, and their fans have started to get pretty annoying even over here? Because on paper, an Alabama vs Oregon game would be a shit ton more fun than Alabama vs. Central Florida or Clempsun.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No point in starting a championship week thread since this one should suffice. Here's this week's schedule with TV info and odds (all times Eastern):

Thursday

Louisville (-3.5) at Cincinnati, 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Friday

MAC Championship at Detroit: Bowling Green (+3) vs. Northern Illinois, 8 p.m., ESPN

Saturday

Oklahoma (+10.5) at Oklahoma State, noon, ABC

AAC championship: UCF at SMU, noon, ESPN --- no line yet, not sure why.

Conference USA championship: Marshall at Rice, noon, ESPN2 --- again, no line yet.

Texas (+13.5) at Baylor, 3:30 p.m., Fox

SEC championship at Atlanta: Missouri (+2) vs. Auburn, 4 p.m., CBS

Pac-12 championship: Stanford (+3.5) at Arizona State, 7:45 p.m., ESPN

ACC championship at Charlotte: Duke (+29) vs. Florida State, 8 p.m., ABC

Big Ten championship at Indianapolis: Ohio State (-5.5) vs. Michigan State, 8:17 p.m., Fox

Mountain West championship: Utah State (+3) at Fresno State, 10 p.m., CBS

6. Steak Snabler

Correct, but that was with a totally different BCS formula. They've tweaked and re-tweaked it numerous times since then to keep that kind of stuff from happening.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oklahoma in 2003 got blitzed 35-7 in the Big 12 title game and still kept the No. 1 spot in the BCS and played LSU in the title game even though USC was No. 1 in both human polls.

8. Steak Snabler

Yeah, that's right.

But again, the since re-jiggered BCS formula gives MUCH more weight to the human polls, and thus makes it virtually impossible to lose big late and get into the BCS title game.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wasn't Oklahoma because the conference championship games weren't taken into account?

I'm a bit hazy since it was a decade ago but it seems like the old BCS was setup on regular season only and didn't include conference championship games. Conspiracy theorists at the time said it was to protect the SEC in case of an upset in its title game.

10. Mizzougrad96

And more likely that the humans would not have the No. 5 team (even with a big win) jump over the No. 4 team.

I'm completely playing Devil's advocate.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I understand the point and I know the screwiness inherent to the BCS, but I have a hard time believing that if Alabama is 11-1 and Mizzou is 12-1, playing in the same league and a similar schedule (five common opponents), and if Mizzou beats the team that beat Alabama, that voters would keep Alabama ahead.

But perhaps I'm applying too much logic.

Mizzou is .0111 behind Alabama right now. By comparison, the "not safe" margin by which Ohio State leads Auburn is .0270.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least one one-loss or two-loss SEC team has been in the BCS championship game five of the past seven years.

The two other times it was an unbeaten SEC team that won.

Maybe the SEC championship should be a four-team playoff and the winner could play against a random FBS team that wins a coin flip.

Draft saved Draft deleted