1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-14 NHL Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Sep 27, 2013.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

From @DownGoesBrown: "Fire alarm currently going off during the game in Edmonton. It saw terrible hockey being played in Alberta and immediately detected Flames."

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gotta keep fighting in the game if for no other reason than to give the anti-fighting crowd something to complain about.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You take fighting out, the next thing on their hit-list is body checking, no pun intended. If they do anything, it should be what Mark suggests, game misconduct. Last 10 minutes it's a one-game ban. It's what they do in junior and it seems to work OK there, their's still fights but not on the same level as in the NHL.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Chicago has 14 regulation losses in its last 92 games, including the playoffs.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It'd be worth banning fighting just to watch Don Cherry's head explode on national television.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Time dedicated to hockey last night:

Fox Sports Live: 8 minutes, 8 seconds
    SportsCenter: 3 minutes, 45 seconds

*Compiled by Awful Announcing.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm surprised the WWL gave them that much. I'm willing to bet two thirds of that was the Blackhawks/Capitals game.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

SportsCenter rarely covers much on things ESPN/ABC doesn't have the broadcast rights to.

I don't know if you'll ever get rid of fighting altogether... and I'm OK with that. Have talked to a lot of players and coaches at the junior level about it and even did a full-blown piece on the issue for a newspaper a few years ago. What I'd like to see is a little tougher penalties --- to make guys think twice about it. Five minutes isn't even an entire period. Heck, you get four for a good high-sticking job. Make it a game misconduct to go along with a fine --- and no exceptions for goaltenders. If it's worth it, then go ahead and drop the gloves and we'll all know that you're serious.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The OHL approach of 10 fights and then a suspension seemed to work well last season in its first go.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

One of the most fun elements of the WOAA league is that you can "buy back" the majority of suspensions. In other words, pay a fine to make the suspension go away.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

You can do that in the playoffs in the O too, not with really egregious stuff but with plenty of them.

JJ we are doing a Muskies game again this year!

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs and Flyers all tied up after two. Leafs are awful and should thank Bernier (not Reimer tonight) for keeping them in the game.

Bad turnovers, five (six?) shorthanded situations and skating in sand has put them behind the eight ball in the first 60

Bernier had to stop a penalty shot with three seconds left in the second.

Draft saved Draft deleted