1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-14 MLB Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Better statistics than RBI? OPS would be one. Hell, even old school statistics such as home runs and batting average are better barometers.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker fired. That's one I didn't see coming:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-dusty-baker-out-reds-manager

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, the Nationals have asked permission to interview Joe Girardi:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/04/the-nationals-have-asked-permission-to-interview-joe-girardi/

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the Yankees didn't give it to the Cubs, they won't give it to the Nationals.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Girardi's experience w/ young players & prospects is limited and very questionable.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yet he was NL Manager of the Year with the Marlins in '06 when a handful of talented young players were beginning to emerge.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

-Somewhat ruined the arms and shoulders of Josh Johnson(torn labrum & I believe a TJS) & Anibal Sanchez.

a. Josh Johnson was 1 or 2 innings into a game when a 1 1/2 hr rain-delay occurred, instead of pulling Johnson for a RP, Girardi let Johnson talk him into re-entering the game. Big, big No-No.

b. Anibal Sanchez threw a no-htiter, but one of those cringe-worthy, high-PC and walk-heavy no-hitters. By mid-year, Anibal was shutdown and had to have TJS.

-Joba's use are one of many known publically-known riffs between Girardi & ownership/Cashman

The regression of Phillip Hughes & also misuse(recall that they also used Hughes as a RP before switching him back to SP)

He hasn't shown ability to improve many futures, he's shown the ability to do the opposite.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How many times did their respective teams make the playoffs? We all know that's how you determine player value.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wonderful. Now you are following JC's lead and dragging this crap all over multiple threads.

Troll elsewhere, please. I know even you aren't this dense.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yes, sir, Moderator OOP

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stop making it personal!11!!11!

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That Marlins team was the youngest (by far) in MLB that season. Hanley was ROY, Uggla was also a rookie and it was Miggy's 23-year-old season. I'll agree that having Johnson pitch after the rain delay was a stupid rookie manager mistake, but aside from that there's nothing in his background that suggests he can't or shouldn't manage young players. (FYI, Sanchez threw 103 pitches in his no-hitter.) He did far, far more things right than wrong in '06 (including telling Jeffrey Loria to STFU when he was riding Larry Vanover), which is why he was NL Manager of the Year. I'm not buying if you think Girardi is to blame for Phil Hughes or Joba.

Draft saved Draft deleted