1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-14 MLB Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depends how good of a job his agent can do in convincing some team it should overpay like the Giants did.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If they use Ryan more than once a week and Stewart catches more than half the games they will need to add a bat or two, especially if Cano leaves.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

OOP, I disagree that the Giants overpaid based on the market. I think he would have gotten $20 million a year if he had tested the market. Remember he did have 27 homers and 99 RBIs while hitting for a decent average. He's good with the glove and durable, too.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's more to it than that. Ripken's name has been out there for a while now. I mean, I'd bet heavy against him actually being the Nats manager next year, but it's a lot more than just a comment from Werth.

5. outofplace

\
    Because paying for a 30-something players's career year never turns out badly. Pence is a nice player, useful even in his down years (such as 2012). But he is inconsistent and with his mechanics, that is likely to continue. The Giants had to have him, so they overpaid a little, which is fine. That doesn't mean Choo deservefs that kind of money, though I do think he is the better player of the two.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pence's final numbers looked good, but he had 16 homers on Aug. 31 (he ended up with 27). He crushed the ball once the Giants were no longer playing for anything.

He stands a good chance of being the next Aaron Rowand. The Giants really enjoyed the last one, as I recall.

7. Tarheel316

Pence is far better than Rowand, who never topped 89 RBIs for a season. Yes, Pence hit a bunch of homers after the Giants fell out of contention but their biggest problem in terms of the lineup was missing Angel Pagan most of the season.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

OK, he'll be the next Andre Ethier then.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Frick award nominees: Bill King, Duane Kuiper, Joe Castiglione, Jacques Doucet, Ken Harrelson, Eric Nadel, Eduardo Ortego, Mike Shannon, Dewayne Staats and Pete van Wieren.

Harrelson? There's a Hall of Homers? And King is way overdue.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The money's there. 30-year-olds are all there is to spend it on. It's going to get spent.

11. outofplace

You are not wrong in saying that Pence is better than Rowand was, but you didn't support it very well. There are better statistics to use and Rowand batted leadoff a good bit more than Pence has (though both hit most often from the No. 5 spot).

The major edge Pence has on Rowand is durability. Rowand broke down physically at a pretty young age.

12. Tarheel316

I'm kind of an old school average, homers and RBIs guy. Not much into WAR, etc. What other stats are you talking about?

Draft saved Draft deleted