1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-14 MLB Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. Last year, yeah I thought he refused to budge and thought he could still be a thrower and not a pitcher. By midseason this year, I think he got the message he needed to become a pitcher. He's not a knucklehead chucker who refuses to change.

2. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

So now that they lost game 163 and missed the playoffs, do the Texas Rangers fire Ron Washington?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apparently not:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/01/ron-washington-will-be-back-as-rangers-manager-in-2014/

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Either Girardi to the Cubs has been a secretly done deal for a few days now, or he's doing a great job of using the Cubs to get more money from the Yankees or someone else.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

College of Coaches!!!!

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't imagine they'd outspend the Yankees for Girardi. He's getting $3M per now, and that will go up. Cubs would be better off putting that money into payroll.

7. RickStain

He's from Peoria, Ill., went to Northwestern, and *really* wanted the Cubs' job back when Piniella got it. If they get him, it's not because they outbid the Yankees. It's because he wants it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get that. So, while I probably shouldn't have said "outspend", they'd still have to pony up for him.

And, I think the appeal of the Cubs has lessened for him. His dad passed away, and he has three kids now who he is raising in suburban New York. It's been a while now since he's owned a home in Chicago.

And, the Cubs suck, while the Yankees are not the horrible situation it used to be for a manager.

9. RickStain

The Yankees are in pretty bad shape.

If the shape of the team is the deciding factor, he'd bail on both of them and go to Washington or something.

10. Steak Snabler

The Cubs have four minor-league hitters on Keith Law's Top 50 prospects list (Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler, Javier Baez and Alberto Almora). When you combine those guys with Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro, some big contracts coming off the books and the front office team in place, the Cubs have a chance to be the next Rays or Rangers in 2-3 years (or a combination of the two, considering their revenue stream) if they make the right choice at manager.

11. RickStain

That's true, but if you are going purely based on results like that, then I wouldn't want the job now. I'd want to be the net guy.

12. Steak Snabler

If Girardi doesn't take the Cubs job now, he might not get another chance. Maybe the next guy succeeds a little faster than everyone thinks and gets a long-term deal, or Girardi has another good run with the Yankees and isn't in a position to leave (kind of like Les Miles with the Michigan job a few years back).

Draft saved Draft deleted