1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Wimbledon Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 28, 2012.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not a huge tennis fan but I'll say Federer's. Mainly because the clay is so different that over the years, otherwise average players, seem to have success at the French Open. At Wimbeldon it seems any of the all-time greats win there multiple times. Federer is just great and really just seems like a genuine good guy. Not someone concerned with marketing himself but someone who just seems concerned with being a good person. I wonder if anyone at Nike is thinking maybe we should've put more into marketing this guy instead of Tiger. Obviously he is not American and is kind of a vanilla-type personality, while Tiger is bi-racial, so Tiger would be easier to market. But it just seems that for someone as great as he is Federer is kind of unheralded/underhyped in the US.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oxfam gets £100,000 because Federer won. I'd forgotten about this story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-18765015

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Federer played a great match. To me, his ability to shift control of a point with one swift stroke is the true indicator of his greatness. Fed's slice is a big weapon on grass; most people who slice nowadays use it as a defensive weapon to get back into the rally and sometimes it becomes too vulnerable. Fed's slice put Murray on the defensive.

Murray played well, he just missed a couple of key forehands which could have swung that huge game in his favor and given him the break right back. Too bad.

On Sat. night, wifey and I only had about an hour and turned on the Borg/McEnroe HBO(?) special that she recorded called Fire/Ice. What a great story. Growing up, even though I used the Donnay Allwood, I used to root against Borg because he seemed like such a robot. Found out for the first time how as a kid he was an emotional kid who was a bad sport, throwing his racquets, yelling on the court. What an amazing transformation by him, gave me such a greater appreciation for him. If you're a tennis fan from the 70's and 80's, watch it.

Draft saved Draft deleted