1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Wimbledon Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Whoopsie.

Serena up 6-1, 4-1 but loses the second 7-5. Off to a third.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Really surprised that Serena didn't close out the second set.

Serena can be a hard one to figure. When she's off her game, like when she lost first round at the French Open, she looks horrible. But when she's on, she's unbeatable.

The difference between Serena and Steffi Graf or Martina Navratilova is consistency.

3. MileHigh

Agree with that. And while she's one of the all-time greats, she's not the greatest as Evert was hinting at on the telecast.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Isnt it longstanding tradtion for the other royals to present to the winner? Maybe breaking with protocol and having the future queen do it would be nice...

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I still think Martina was the best ever on grass. Her lefty serve and volleying skills were so good, few opponents stood a chance.

If one is talking all surfaces, I think Steffi Graf was the greatest ever. At her prime, opponents were lucky to win games against her. I think the level of competition when Graf played was higher than during the Margaret Court era of dominance.

Right now, women's tennis is in a state of flux. Eight different major winners in the last eight majors. When she's on, I think Serena is the best player. Who knows if she will be on or not when the US Open gets here? I'm worried Venus may be done because of the illness. She looked terrible in the singles' loss at Wimbledon. If she does OK at the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised to see her retire.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that the Queen wasn't planning to come. I hear she doesn't really like tennis too much, but this is a huge national event. No British man has made the final since 1938. Surely she can suck it up for 2-3 hours. It would mean a lot to the country.

There was one year (1977, I think, with Virginia Wade) where the Queen made a surprise appearance. If she changes her mind at the last minute, I bet they can find a seat in the Royal Box for her.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Duchess of Cambridge to attend Wimbledon final, Queen 'free on Sunday'
    Published Friday, Jul 6 2012, 6:10pm EDT | By Kate Goodacre

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge will watch Sunday's men's singles final between Andy Murray and Roger Federer from the Royal Box at Wimbledon.

A palace spokesperson has also revealed that Queen Elizabeth II has kept the weekend free of engagements following her recent trip to Scotland. However, Prince William has a prior commitment and will not be able to attend.

"The Duchess is planning on attending but the Duke cannot because of a prior commitment," a statement from St James's Palace confirmed.

Royal family spokesperson Zaki Cooper told The Mirror: "We've been waiting for the semi-final outcome and the Queen has a private weekend. We don't yet know if she will be going to Wimbledon on Sunday, but a decision will be announced when it is made.

"The Queen keeps up to date with the news and reads the newspapers, so she's seen [Andy] Murray's progress."

Murray earlier became the first British tennis player to reach a Wimbledon men's singles final since Bunny Austin in 1938, beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in four sets. http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a392116/duchess-of-cambridge-to-attend-wimbledon-final-queen-free-on-sunday.html

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Serena's mother looks like Rick James.

9. MileHigh

Looks like an electric atmosphere at Center Court. I'll take Fed in four.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

no global warming in the UK. A delightful 19c, perfect for tennis

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Federer is a freaking maestro at the net.

12. MileHigh

Great sixth game of the third set. More than 18 minutes. 10th deuce. Federer hasn't converted on five break points. Murray has hit the turf four times.

Draft saved Draft deleted