1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Tornado Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 2, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He's fine. Just got into work.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Devil, look up the Enterprise High tornado from 2007. Not a happy ending.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

NBC Nightly News said the town's winds may have been 175 mph. That's just unfathomable. For no one to die in that school tells me it held up just fine.

4. KYSportsWriter

There were reports -- which proved to not be true, thank God -- about students and teachers being trapped in that school. How that didn't happen is a miracle.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

How major? The schools in Joplin that took a direct hit were crushed in some sections, but that was about as gigantic a tornado as you get.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You move to the interior of the school during a tornado drill. If the existing outside walls give, the interior walls, which hopefully are block material as well, will be fine.

Think of it like playing Angry Birds, when you see an area of the formation that holds when everything around it collapses.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The tornado in Branson on Wednesday night hit about 2 miles from my brother's house. I'm used to lots of tornadoes in the news, but this first wave seems a little more ominous than usual.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just saw that Angel Babcock, the 1-year-old girl who was the only initial survivor in her family of 5, was taken off life support today.

I found this out during a newscast I was actually working on this evening. Broke my heart when it crossed.

RIP to all the victims.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

A bit late to this one, but I appreciate the concern.

I live about 15 miles away from KySports and it was eery how each area was hit.

For me, we got a bit of hail -- I have video of it bouncing off my back porch picnic table -- and very little damage financially. Took a sunroof panel off my parents' old barn (can be fixed in a few hours once someone climbs up there), knocked down and old tree across the dogs' fence (tree was probably going to be taken down anyway for firewood) and broke a couple of limbs off my neighbors' tree (dad and I cleaned them off the road and threw them in a ditch).

Meanwhile, power got knocked out at our boss's house (other than DirecTV, which always goes haywire in a storm, we never lost power) for several hours.

But I drove past Harry Owen trucking (see google news link below) on the way to a bowling match in a neighboring county. Several large metal buildings gone.

Could have been a LOT worse (Having been through both Birmingham and Enterprise on my way to Panama City Beach for summer vacation every year, the before and after in those two places is scary).

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&q=%22harry+owen+trucking%22&oq=%22harry+owen+trucking%22&aq=f&aqi=d2&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1204l6968l0l7609l23l19l0l14l0l0l585l1371l2.1.4-1.1l5l0

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

RIP to all the victims.

Unsurprisingly, Pat Robertson said prayer could have stopped the tornadoes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/pat-robertson-tornadoes-prayer_n_1321686.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A horrible end to what sounds like a tough life for the whole family.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SEVERE_WEATHER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-03-05-16-44-57

A 15-month-old Indiana girl who clung to life for two days after being scooped up by a tornado that killed her parents and two siblings was buried Monday in a snow-covered cemetery, a poignant end to what had seemed to be a miracle story of survival.

An American flag hung at half-staff as relatives of Angel Babcock gathered for the private burial. Angel, her mother and her 2-month-old sister were buried in one casket. Her father and 2-year-old brother were in another.

12. KYSportsWriter

And an Indiana mom who threw herself over her kids had to have both legs amputated this weekend.

A mother's love really knows no bounds.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120304/NEWS02/303040073/Indiana-mother-loses-legs-while-saving-her-children-from-tornado?odyssey=mod|mostview

Draft saved Draft deleted