1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Tornado Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hope no SJers were affected by today's storms. From Alabama to Ohio there was a massive outbreak of tornados.

Two days into March there have been 91 tornadoes across the nation. In 2011, there were 75 ... for the entire month.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

We got the north end of the storm, which meant 5 inches of the wet, heavy snow.

When DirecTV came out last year to upgrade me to HD, the guy moved my dish to the peak of the roof. it had been bolted onto the side of the house in easy reach the previous 13 years.

Wet, heavy snow sticks to the dish. Had to pull out a ladder, crawl up the roof and clear it off to be able to watch television tonight. To the dismay of many on this site, I made it up and down safely. :D

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And, of course, my prayers that everyone here is not affected by what is shaping up to be a volatile spring.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Looks like it was Kentuckiana's day in the barrel. Prayers for y'all.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We're in the midst of it right now. About to go to bed, but signed up for a friend's program (http://areaalerts.altuscarrierservices.com/) and it will call my cell if some serious shit is on its way. Worth the $12 a year for me, since I hardly ever watch live TV or listen to the radio.

Had a couple waves come through, but no bad storms in the city proper yet. I think most of it should go north of Atlanta, but Northwest Georgia is getting it pretty badly. They said one neighborhood up there had five houses with their roofs ripped off.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Used to cover Henryville High School in Indiana at my first job. Heard the school was destroyed in one of the tornadoes. Thoughts, prayers, etc.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can anyone post a decent link with the details of what this school did to keep everyone as safe as possible? I am searching, but getting frustrated with information I am not looking for.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The storms split right around us. A couple hit just north of us in Kentuckiana and one wen pretty much took a downtown stroll right through Nashville.

Lots of tornadoes around my folks' house in central Alabama. No damage, but one was really, really close.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Very little info getting out of Henryville because the roads are difficult to pass and the cell towers/landline relay stations are all down. However, what we do know is that school was out for the day when the tornado hit, a few students were in the building, and all escaped with the worst having only minor injuries. There's a photo of the gym where the wall at one end has been entirely ripped off.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, thanks.

A school taking a direct hit from a major twister is very interesting to me. In theory, a school's interior should hold up.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm glad this week is over.

Parts of my hometown got hit Wednesday morning with what started as EF1, shifted to an EF2, then back to an EF1. There were two confirmed touchdowns, each of which were within a mile of my house. One of the twisters was close to where all of our schools are (they're in the same area now), but pretty much jumped that area and hit a neighborhood outside the city limits.

The damage in those places is unreal, but there was only one person reported injured -- and she suffered a broken arm. Thanking God that no one in my hometown was seriously hurt or died this week.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you, KY. Anyone heard from CentralKYkid?

Draft saved Draft deleted