1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL poll finally posted on page 12!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: 2012 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- WEEK 2 now posted!

You're right, 1-0.

I don't base my rankings on anything but my own whims, but I'm really not sure how anyone can say they use strictly results to determine rankings and have Oklahoma ahead of LSU right now.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I almost ranked ULM but then I saw they were only 1-0. And for LSU/Oklahoma, I TRY to remove all preseason bias, but being human, it doesn't always work.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My top 10. Arkansas (8), Oklahoma State (15) and Nebraska (18) all fell out:

1. Alabama
    2. Southern Cal
    3. Florida State
    4. Oregon
    5. LSU
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Georgia
    8. South Carolina
    9. West Virginia
    10. Michigan State

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Awesome ... already have 21 ballots in, just a dozen to go with plenty of time until "deadline." Thanks to all who've voted already!

Now if only I had something to write about ... ;)

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Was I first? If so, can I have a cookie?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I put ULM at No. 25. You beat a top 10 team on the road, I think you deserve it.

7. I Should Coco

All the ballots are in ... story and poll should be posted within an hour or two.

(SPOILER ALERT)

Roll Tide :D

8. I Should Coco

Grading the new kids on the block

By I SHOULD COCO
    Boy band alumnus

Lots of musical chairs happening in the world of big-boy college football these past couple of years. Sometimes it’s tough to follow the ball as all those shells get shifted around. Hell, Texas Christian has (kind of) changed conferences three times in less than three years.

Anyway, we’re here to help cut through the confusion. Ring the bell, school’s back in ... here’s some grades on how good of a “fit” these teams are in their new conferences:

Utah (from Mountain West to Pac-12): Along with bottom-feeding Colorado, the Utes now make up the “Rocky Mountain Way” of the Pac-12 south division. With plenty of residents who have fled Southern California (not to mention plenty of SoCal recruits on the team), the Salt Lake City region fits right in. Plus it’s an easy, 16-hour road trip on scenic I-15 for L.A. fans to watch their schools play in Utah. Grade: B.

Nebraska (from Big 12 to Big 10): Just about a perfect fit. The Huskers showed they have learned the ways of the Big 10 quickly, as they, too, fell apart in the Rose Bowl. Grade: A.

West Virginia (from Big East to Big 12): Quarterback Geno Smith and the Mountaineers offense should produce some great shootouts with the likes of Oklahoma’s Landry Jones and Kansas State’s Collin Klein. And just like everyone else in the league, the key question remains ‘Can they play defense?’ Grade: A.

Texas Christian (from Mountain West to Big East -- for a minute -- to Big 12): Not as sure about this Big 12 addition, although it makes more sense geographically for an old Southwest Conference team. While the Mountaineers have a whole state’s worth of fans backing them, the Horned Frogs can often be overlooked in the crazy world of Texas football. Grade: C.

Missouri and Texas A&M (from Big 12 to SEC):
    Adding the Aggies is a great move for both Texas A&M and the Southeastern Conference. The SEC expands its Old Man Football into Texas, while the Aggies get another chip to use in their yearly recruiting/relevance war against the Longhorns. Regarding Missouri ... well, a 14th team had to come from somewhere. The Tigers will hold their own in basketball, but they quite frankly haven’t had much football success over the years. It could be embarrassing next season if there’s more Tennessee orange in the stands than Mizzou colors. Plus losing the annual matchup with Kansas stinks. Grades: B (Texas A&M), D (Missouri)

Boise St., Nevada, Fresno State (from WAC to Mountain West): The vagabonds of the western states hitch their wagon to another falling star. Sorry, still sitting at the kids’ table in the big-money banquet of BCS football. Grade: C.

So, what new teams “make the grade” in our weekly SportsJournalists.com college football poll? Take a look:

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    WEEK TWO — 9/10/12
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS PREVIOUS

1. Alabama (25) 818 1
    2. Southern Cal (7) 790 2
    3. Louisiana St. 755 3
    4. Oregon 710 4
    5. Oklahoma 657 5
    6. Florida St. 639 6
    7. Georgia 615 7
    8. South Carolina 560 9
    9. West Virginia 556 8
    10. Michigan St. 521 11
    11. Clemson 492 12
    12. Texas 426 15
    13. Virginia Tech 414 16
    14. Ohio St. 387 18
    15. Kansas St. 362 20
    16. Texas Christian 285 21
    17. Michigan 236 19
    18. Florida 220 25
    19. Notre Dame 189 23
    20. Stanford 173 22
    21. Louisville 154 24
    22. UCLA 148 —
    23. Wisconsin 81 13
    24. Arizona 74 —
    25. Tennessee 61 —

Also receiving votes:
    Brigham Young 58, Mississippi St. 52, Arkansas 51, Boise St. 50, Nebraska 46, Oregon St. 25, Arizona St. 20, South Florida 19, Ohio 16, Baylor 15, Oklahoma St. 15, Georgia Tech 14, Northwestern 6, Washington 5, Virginia 3, Cincinnati 2, Louisiana Monroe 2, Louisiana Tech 1, Texas Tech 1, Wake Forest 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: I Should Coco (tabulator), dparker85, huggy, TheWritingWaffle, scottwcoleman, Della9250, the_lorax, KYSportsWriter, DragonSteamboat, TrooperBari, Hank_Scorpio, McNuggetsMan, Rumpleforeskin, HanSenSE, azom, joe_schmoe, Precious Roy, Inky_Wretch, Mizzougrad96, Starman, NorrinRadd, Versatile, TommyDreamer, MileHigh, Layman, Suicide Squeezer, Donnie in his element, dragonzo, Oz, Madhavok, Matt Stephens, slappy4428, MysteryMeat II. EVERYONE VOTED!

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Mississippi State (2-0) would wipe the fucking floor with Wisconsin (1-1).

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: 2012 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- NEW WEEK 3 POLL on Page 3

Arkansas still got votes!?!

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: 2012 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- NEW WEEK 3 POLL on Page 3

Shit, man, don't look at me. And when Inky and I are asking who voted for an SEC team ...

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not sure how ...

Draft saved Draft deleted