1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 SJ.com Awards Ceremony

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ryan Seabiscuit, Dec 23, 2012.

?

Who deserves the 2012 SJ.com Poster of the Year Award?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2012.
  1. Bubbler

15.0%
  2. Care Bear

28.0%
  3. dooley_womack1

8.0%
  4. Double Down

29.0%
  5. Versatile

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My peeps call me Fart.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

good one, ernie.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Does this mean there is no cash component to winning an award?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I'm late to this party. I hope it did not cause any offense. (Or any Canadians offence.) Here is the truth, though: This award should be Care Bear's. Like, not just me joking, but for reals. It was very kind of 30 of you to offer this kind doff or your cap for whatever angry, emotional, haughty, mildly-clever-but-probably-overrated-according-to-my-stalkers posts I made here in 2012. But, in reality, other than thump my fist a lot on the Penn State threads (which included me acting like a prick several times to people who probably deserved better), I can't remember anything I did that was particularly memorable in '12. I feel like I was sort of a inconsistent presence here this year.

Care Bear is super funny. She's clever as shit. She mixes it up with the best of us, and doesn't take shit too seriously. I feel like the award should be hers in full this year. All I do it post Muppet/Gawker memes. Those are like friggen RBIs. You come to the right thread, someone makes a joke about The Big Lead, and the jokes write themselves.

All that said, I kind love this place. Every few months, I tell myself it's time to leave. That I spend too much time here, that I'm not getting anything out of the place, that I'm wasting time with dumb feuds, etc., but I always come back. It's been 10 fricken years, and I'm still here. I'm not going away. You dickheads are a bit like family. I was in my early 20s when I first started poking around here. I sort of grew up here, writing furiously into the night, posting thousands of words about irrelevant nonsense. Now I'm thicker, I have a little less hair, I'm married and I have a couple kids, but I still fucking post here. Most of my friends IRL think it's weird. My wife thinks I'm a clown, and wishes I would rake the leaves instead of writing 2,000 words about The Wire. But hell, it's too much fun to be a part of the fray, even with people I don't get along with. Bubbler made a point to me once that I've kind of come around to, back when I was grumbling about this place not being as fun as it once was. He was like: All the people who piss you off, the trolls, the sock puppets, attention whores, the angry dudes and internet jocks, they're just as much a part of the place as you are.

And he's right. Sometimes the best threads begin with an obvious troll, or joke. I used to feud with Mizzou and Dick Whitman, and now I consider them both friends. You hang around here long enough and you realize you have more in common with people here than you do most other places. Hell, a few of my best friends came from this dive. I think I probably became a moderately better writer by hanging around here all these years. You learn to come strong or slink away in shame on SJ.

This will probably seem pretentious as shit, but I kind of think of that Kerouac quote from On The Road when I think of you crazy bastards.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles."

But for reals, I'm very happy Care Bear got some well-deserved daps this year. She's plenty worthy, and despite her husband's penchant for calling me an asshole, I like him too, for reasons I can't even explain. (Maybe I am an asshole sometimes. Go figure.)

Lastly, a sincere shoutout to Versatile, who seems like he's always been around, but really has emerged as one of the best posters we've ever had in the last few years.

L'chaim, dickheads.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, lock it, Fuck Box.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Takes one to know one. Good post.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and just to think, i still have that bastard's secret santa gift on my wife's desk ... fuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.