1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

F$#% you, hippie!

Pearl Jam is self-indulgent, overwrought garbage!

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That's preposterous.

It's magical, self-indulgent sonic bliss.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Straight Outta Compton was a fantastic album and incredibly influential. I can probably recite every lyric and I haven't listened to it this millennium. But that was all that NWA did. No way they get in before Public Enemy.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was thinking about this even before you posted it. The Hall is going to need to open up on alternative, punk and rap a bit if it wants to maintain relevance. Pixies were eligible this year and Sonic Youth and The Smiths have been eligible for years, so I don't know that it is ready for that leap. Here are some of the groups eligible in the next few years:

A Tribe Called Quest
    De La Soul
    Dr. Dre
    Green Day
    Ice Cube
    Jane's Addiction
    Morrissey
    My Bloody Valentine
    NOFX
    Pearl Jam
    Rage Against the Machine
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Soundgarden
    Stone Temple Pilots
    2Pac

I think as the 1990s progress, as Radiohead and Weezer enter the fold, you'll see the voters go back and reconsider bands like Pixies, Sonic Youth and The Smiths. Hopefully, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Slayer can get metal some respect. But who knows. There's a baseball bat up Jann Wenner's ass.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

A Tribe Called Quest
    De La Soul
    Dr. Dre
    Green Day
    Ice Cube
    Jane's Addiction
    Morrissey
    My Bloody Valentine
    NOFX
    Pearl Jam
    Rage Against the Machine
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Soundgarden
    Stone Temple Pilots
    2Pac

YMMV

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

De La Soul vs. A Tribe Called Quest is a good litmus test for whether you're a rap fan or a rock fan who likes rap.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. As an alternative rock guy, I find it bizarre that they're nominating the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and the Marvelettes while ignoring The Smiths, Depeche Mode and The Cure. The Pixies should be in. Husker Du may be borderline, but I'd vote for them. Devo too.

There are still a few older bands that are ignored, too. How the fuck do you nominate Procol Harum when The Zombies aren't in?

I'm curious to see how far they go into rap. I suspect they'll be pretty hesitant -- I would guess you'll see Public Enemy and NWA go in, but more obscure-but-significant groups like A Tribe Called Quest left out. (I definitely don't qualify as a rap fan and really not even a rock fan who likes rap... but "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo" is fantastic.)

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Cure definitely should be in, even before Pavement, Pixies, The Smiths and Sonic Youth.

9. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Kraftwerk is ridiculously influential. It goes beyond techno too. A whole range of rock bands count Kraftwerk as a major influence-- helping play a role in the melding of rock and electronic music. The influence of ''Kraut-Rock'' is everywhere. Check out the new British band Django Django...

That being said-- Can should probably get nominated too, if influence is the major standard.

10. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Cure, but objectively, I 100% agree. Pixies next in my opinion. Small catalog, but they were so seminally influential it's not even up for debate.

Pavement were also hugely influential, but I don't see them getting in. The big difference is that the Pixies influenced bands that became immensely popular (Nirvana, etc). I think Pavement just generally helped define indie-rock.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Beck is going to be an interesting argument when he comes up. For many, he never got past Mellow Gold (which is underrated) and Loser, and is viewed as a one-off weirdo, but he did some damn interesting shit after that and after Odelay too.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Rolling Stone's affinity for Beck will help. Also, he has the SportsJournalists.com vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted