1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Kind of weird that they haven't gotten in, more than 25 years after having their names on the Live 1975-85 set.

Only explanation I can think of is that all the Bruce-worshipping Rock Hall people might think that inducting the band might diminish Bruce in some way.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rush.

That is all.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Video games are a waste of time, too.

4. turski7

turski7 Member

I don't think so. People still relate to their music and their influence allowed many more groups and individual rappers to flourish. NWA's songs weren't even on the radio, for awhile, and they still became one of the top groups around. I think their cultural influence gets them in.
    If it weren't for NWA, where are Dre and Cube? NWA smashed through doors and many people followed. Them and Public Enemy should be in.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If it weren't for Them, where is Van Morrison? If it weren't for Temple of the Dog, where is Eddie Vedder?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Chic and Nile Rodgers were far, far more influential to American music than Kraftwerk.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Temple of the Dog was a one-off tribute to Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone, not really a legit band. That album only came out 3 months before "Ten."

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I had some of the chronology mixed up and thought that was when Vedder met Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, but you're right.

9. PCLoadLetter

My take...

Randy Newman
    -- This is a tough one for me. He's brilliant, and would be an absolute no-brainer if he didn't shift midway through his career to focus almost solely on movie soundtrack work. I'm still a yes vote, I guess.
    Public Enemy -- Yes.
    N.W.A. -- Not my thing at all, but the influence alone seems undeniable. Yes.
    Donna Summer -- Eh. Hard to get enthusiastic on this one. Yes, she was a huge figure in disco, but it seems to me that had more to do with her producer. I could go either way. I suspect she'll be in because of the timing.
    Rush -- I'm a no vote, obviously. But as I've said before, they're going to get in eventually, because the hall is running out of nominees fast, and they're going to start looking pretty good in a couple of years. They're three or four years away from a nominee list that's down to Chilliwack, Taco and Rush.
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band -- Nope.
    Chic -- There's a strong case to be made for Nile Rodgers, but taking Chic as a whole... no.
    Deep Purple -- Nope.
    Heart -- Eh. Really seems like a "hall of pretty good" selection. I could go either way. For all of you who insist it's all a Rolling Stone/Jann Wenner conspiracy, here's your big test case. Nancy Wilson was married to longtime RS contributor Cameron Crowe.
    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts -- No. I think the Runaways have a stronger case, and Joan Jett deserves serious consideration minus the Blackhearts.
    Albert King -- No.
    Kraftwerk -- Yes. Hugely influential in techno music.
    Marvelettes -- No.
    Meters -- No.
    Procol Harum -- Seriously? A nomination that seems based entirely on the organ solo in "Whiter Shade of Pale." No.

Honestly, even given the diminishing field to choose from, this is a pretty horrid list. And I just realized that Jane's Addiction is now hall eligible, which makes me feel very old.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Chilliwack should be in too, tough guy.

11. PCLoadLetter

You Canadians, man. Who you supporting next year, Snow?

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I'd put Tiny Tim in before Rush.

Draft saved Draft deleted