1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Nominees announced:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-rock-hall-fame-2013-nominees-randy-newman-nwa-public-enemy-rush-donna-summer-20121003,0,2002199.story

Randy Newman (Don't care either way)
    Public Enemy (Yes)
    N.W.A (Ground-breaking, seminal, absolutely based on previously established norms)
    Donna Summer (Meh)
    Rush (F$#% you, BUBBLER!!!!!! And PCLoadLetter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And all assorted haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Who?)
    Chic (Nope)
    Deep Purple (Not enough)
    Heart (I guess . . . but they're kinda the ZZ Top of chick bands to me. Found a formula, and repeated it. Never improved on their influences)
    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (Not enough, but will get in before Rush. F$%# you, Jann Wenner!!!!!)
    Albert King (Who?)
    Kraftwerk (Doo, doo, doodoo, doodoodoodoo, doo, doo, doodoo, doodooooooo)
    Marvelettes (who?)
    Meters (who?)
    Procol Harum (Meh)

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Each of your "who?"s invalidate all of your whats.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It won't happen, but I hope and pray Public Enemy, N.W.A. and Randy Newman get in together. Can you imagine the after-party?

[​IMG]

Well, gee guys, it sure is great to be here with you. I've waited a long time for this.

[​IMG]

Yo yo yo yo yo. PE and the NWA. We been waitin' toooo long for this, jack! Held down by the man! Don't believe the hype!

[​IMG]

Must you embarrass us everywhere?

[​IMG]

Keep they heads ringin', Flav. Anybody got a Dr Pepper?

[​IMG]

Yeahhhhh, boy!

[​IMG]

Flav, I thought I told you no caffeine. We're here to talk about oppression, not get crunk. Do you understand the poverty and oppression the African American male still feels today?

[​IMG]

Yo, Chuck, did you see my movie Lottery Ticket? The one with Bow Wow? That's what I was tryin' to get at with that joint. How the modern black man remains Amerikkka's Most Wanted. I mean, I'm playin' a cat that used to box and now he's givin' real world advice, namsayin'?

[​IMG]

You're a prostitute. Who's this guy?

[​IMG]

Hi, Chuck! Real honor to meet you. Loved the "Do the Right Thing" soundtrack work you did. Have you heard any of mine?

[​IMG]

Keep they heads ringin', Randy! So many flavors!

[​IMG]

When was the last time Pixar created a black character worth a damn? The credits scene in Cars is the most racist shit I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

Hey, I'm just doing the music.

[​IMG]

Yo, Chuck, let's go easy on this honky, K? He did that "You've Got a Friend in Me" song, the one from Toy Story!

[​IMG]

Damn, that was tight. Had a real positive message for the kids, too. Black children need to learn that they have friends who aren't in gangs. OK, then, Mr. Newman. Much respect.

[​IMG]

Randy, we just must work together soon.

Meanwhile, in Toronto ...

[​IMG]

I can't believe they let those rappers in. Rap isn't music. Don't they understand?
    I know, Geddy. It's like they haven't heard "YYZ."
    We never get respect, Neil. Dear Lord ... it can't be ...

[​IMG]

COMIN' STRAIGHT OUTTA MOTHERFUCKIN UNDERWORLD JUST TO KILL SOME CRACKAZ.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Talk about Hall of Fame...

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Talk about too much time on someone's hands...

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Smash, why isn't Styx in the Hall? And you were brave to overcome your fear and read Versatile's post.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, you're right. I will never get back those 15 minutes that I could have been using playing video games or masturbating.

Your criticism really puts my life into perspective.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Randy Newman - I guess.
    Public Enemy - Yes.
    N.W.A - Sure, but I was actually expecting them to nominate either Dr. Dre or Ice Cube as a solo artist before they got around to nominating N.W.A.
    Donna Summer - She's been nominated for the past few years and she died earlier this year, so I could see it happening this time.
    Rush - I don't like them, but they probably deserve it.
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band - No.
    Chic - They probably deserve to make it in before Donna Summer, but I don't see it happening this year.
    Deep Purple - Maybe.
    Heart - No.
    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - 99% of her songs were covers...No.
    Albert King - Hard to say, I've really only heard "Born Under a Bad Sign".
    Kraftwerk - I'm for this one, but they probably have a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting inducted.
    Marvelettes - No.
    Meters - Good band, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Procol Harum - No.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Randy Newman - Could be a Jann Wenner special, but ahead of Warren Zevon? Come on, man!
    Public Enemy - Yes
    N.W.A - Yes
    Donna Summer - Could be the Pat Burns of the RRHOF
    Rush - Abso-fucking-lutely!
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band - No
    Chic - As Ronnie said, they should be in before Donna Summer
    Deep Purple - Got a shot.
    Heart - Their 70s output might have had them on that track, massive suckitude from the mid-80s on
    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - No chance
    Albert King - Interesting case, huge influence on guys like Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan - who should have been in years ago!
    Kraftwerk - Can't see it. Who's next? Tangerine Dream?
    Marvelettes - No
    Meters - Made huge contributions to loads of great New Orleans records, might have an outside shot. I would like to see more sidemen inducted.
    Procol Harum - No, even though I had the organist at my wedding play "Whiter Shade of Pale" as people were filing in just to see if anyone would notice.

Again, no KISS, no Roxy Music, no Little Feat?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rush! Finally! :D

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

SRV not being in is a traveshamockery.

Albert King + SRV trading guitar licks ...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a great point about Joan Jett's biggest hits being covers.

I love Joan Jett. HOF? I don't know...

Hell, we played "Do You Wanna Touch Me?" during the removal of the garter at our wedding reception. People went nuts and several of my friends used the song when they got married a year or two later, which I took as a nice compliment...

I remember the conversation with the DJ and he said, "Yeah, we usually play that song from Ferris Bueller, and I said, semi-jokingly, "If you play that song at our wedding, don't expect to get paid..."

Draft saved Draft deleted