1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 26, 2011.

1. billikens

billikens Member

Heel turn makes the most sense.

Coming in a close second is Jericho simply feeding his own, gargantuan-sized ego. Wouldn't surprise me if he told Vince, etc., "I'm the only person in the world who can cut a 10 minute intro promo, with the crowd going wild the entire time, and not say a single word."

Also, I think all the interest in his return temporarily broke SportsJournalists.com.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

OK, that was .... weird.

The last segment, of course, was the usual hokey stuff with Kane. Nothing to write home about.

I'm thinking with the Jericho thing that he's going to be a heel, but they knew he would get cheered in his first appearance back, so they let him act like a goof. Next week or two, he'll start acting goofy, then become his serious self again and be a heel.

Punk/Ziggler was good for what it was, which means that we'll be seeing Laurinitis refereeing the two of them at the Rumble.

Seems like they're turning Truth face again, which, to me, is too early. He had a lot more potential as a heel. But I'm liking how he's continuing the crazy routine.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

FWIW, Hornswoggle is trending on Twitter right now because everyone is wondering if he "has insurance" since Kane just burned his house down. :)

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Curt Hawkins just posted this on Twitter. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:

Got worried there for a minute. Wasn't too sure how @ZackRyder was going to film his show from hell.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

1) I voted Ziggler for that contest thing in last year's thread, so I'll go with Cody Rhodes on this one. I also think Daniel Bryan could go to a Punk-level star with the right booking.

2) Yes, but only because if they've survived this long, why not ride it out? I think they're only in danger if Spike cancels them, which they probably won't for at least another year because they can still show UFC programs for another year.

3) Hm... WWE: I think they bring a major star back in the fold because of the implosions at TNA. Not sure if that's Angle, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Ric Flair or Hogan, but a fairly big name. TNA: They finally fire Vince Russo, and to a shock of no one, ratings will improve substantially.

6. sgreenwell

As far as Jericho, I think he's a heel, but as an over-the-top good guy every week.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I was confused at Jericho too but right at the end before he leaves, he goes from the shit-eating, man-it's-great-to-be-back grin to a these-marks-don't-know-what-the-hell-they're-in-for smirk. I don't know if he's back next week or not, but he's going heel. Maybe he does another of these until fans start booing him for not saying anything. But with him being a heel (hopefully to challenge Punk), it makes sense to use the pop he would get with his return as a way to build his heel persona back. Could be cool to have him come back and cut one promo (say Jan. 16) saying how he is here to reclaim what is his, etc., then two weeks later cost Punk the title at the Rumble.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That Jericho bit was pure freaking genius. Went back and rewatched it and the bit lasted, with video, for about 10 minutes.

There's definitely a missing element to his return, being the woman/girl in video pulling the strings. Maybe we'll find out who that is next week, but I'd like them to drag it out a little more.

10. sgreenwell

11. I've been gloating to friends the last 14 hours (give or take 7 hours of sleep) That I was right about Jericho coming back. It took me a while to figure out what he was doing, but it was hilariously brilliant. Now if he does enter into some beef with Punk leading to Wrestlemania, I'll be happy.

Speaking of...am I the only one wants to see the return of the "Big Evil" Undertaker?

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thinking about what Jericho is returning to claim what's his: the title of best in the world.

Jericho cut a promo a few years back (IIRC) saying he was the best in the world, sort of like Punk did this past summer. I'm thinking this feud will have nothing to do with any title belt, just a damn good feud to see who really is the best in the world at what they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted