1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 26, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That is awesome. Good on D-Bry to do that for the kid.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Sheamus had a face turn for no reason. I saw him at a live event just as the turn started, and the crowd didn't know what to do. Unfortunately, for those of us who enjoy a little subtley in our entertainment, The E has to draw it in crayon for the rest.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

CM Punk was on The Nerdist podcast, 90 minutes of pretty cool stuff. He doesn't talk a ton about wrestling, since Chris Hardwick hasn't watched since the 70s apparently, but toward the end he compares himself to Randy Savage and Cena to Hulk Hogan. He's pretty frank throughout, talking about how he sometimes looks forward to getting hurt, since then at least he gets a vacation... but then, Vince tells him to do commentary and promos, heh.

However, this is probably only about 15 to 25 minutes of the interview, and the rest is all about his divergent interests.

4. Bradley Guire

The live Tuesday SmackDown (commercial free!) was a better show than Raw. I missed Tribute for the Troops, but I probably didn't miss much. Since they're taped weeks in advance, I don't think they stick closely to story lines, right?

Certainly, no interest in seeing Muppets, again, Kid Rock, or Flo Rida.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Which is why, right now, Punk and Taker make sense. If Punk and Heyman have any link to The Shield (quick poll: Who thinks they don't?), then it could build nicely. Works with Punk angling for respect over much of the last year, too.

Say he and Heyman reveal The Shield works for them, they continue the beatings up to Mania, Punk brings the whole entourage out with him and wrestles a great match with Taker. Late during the match, The Shield tries to beat down Taker to help Punk win and end the streak. Punk pushes them away, says no and loses cleanly. Next night (and I feel like this part has been suggested here before), Taker comes out on Raw, or flashes up on a video, and cuts a promo to the point that Punk has earned his respect ... and then The Shield breaks up over whether to support Punk and that angle carries those four until Summer Slam.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Tribute show is a really great thing they do, although for the past couple of years, for either security reasons or just because Iraq is winding down, they've been doing it on US bases instead of going to Iraq and Afghanistan. Which, when you think about it, was really an amazing thing, to actually perform in a war zone.

There was one story I saw from a few years back where, when they were in Iraq, an alert went out about a bombing at a base some of the wrestlers were visiting. A couple wrestlers said they ducked under tables and were scared out of their wits, but Big Show continued to sit there, eating breakfast as calmly as could be.

Nothing storyline-wise happens at these shows, and the matches are pretty basic. Still, with the troops cheering, it presents a unique atmosphere for a wrestling show.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Masked Wrestling Fan over on Grantland has a review of TLC, plus of the ROH show from the same night: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8762341/handing-maskie-awards-weekend-mayhem-back-back-ring-honor-wwe-events

Anyone here watch ROH? I've been intrigued, but haven't really taken the plunge, out of some matches here and there (the Joe vs. Punk broadways, etc).

8. Bradley Guire

I read they were supposed to land a TV deal last year. Not sure if it happened.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

BTW, the guy that came down to help AJ smash Cena.

I've seen that guy in FCW before. The guy can work. At least if he's given the chance.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm on board for Punk-Taker.

Punk loses to Rock at the Rumble. Comes out and and says his streak is the best thing that's ever happened to the WWE or starts talking about his streak and then the lights hit and the 20-0 comes up on the screen or somewhere in the arena.

That could be a nice setup for the match.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If they build it as a battle for respect, I think it will be amazing.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know it's not going to happen, but I would really like to see the streak go away at 20-0. I don't need another Undertaker Wrestlemania match. The collection is satisfyingly complete.

Draft saved Draft deleted