1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 26, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Since we're kind of keeping both threads alive right now, I'd like to take this thread in a different direction.

With the WWE network set to open in 2012, what kind of programming would you guys have if you ran the show?

Me, I would stock it up with in-depth features on PPVs/angles/superstars, like the Legends of Wrestling roundtable that WWE Classics has. In addition, once a month I would have an indepth 30 minute-hour long in-depth interview with a random superstar, completely out of character. I would love to see more attention paid to some of the midcard guys like Cody Rhodes or Kofi Kingston about why they joined the WWE, what it took for them to get there, their biggest memories/disappointments, e.t.c.

I'd also stock it up with a bunch of "What ever happened to ..." type shows where you catch up with former WWE wrestlers like Bob Backland, Demolition, e.t.c. and see what life was like when they left the WWE.

I would definitely be interested in SOME reality programing, especially something like MTV Cribs where you see superstars outside of the ring and I would love to see old PPVs broadcast that you never see anywhere else (In Your House, for instance).

Thoughts?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the old PPVs on the WWE network. That could be an anchor for one night a week, just have "Pay per view Sunday" or whatever.
    Old epsiodes of Nitro, Raw and AWA are a given. Each one would get its own timeslot.
    Some countdown shows need to be on there. Best and worst gimmicks, best matches, etc. Some of the top 10 lists they've done on WWE.com have been pretty fun to read, and there have even been a few that poked fun at the lame stuff.

And Schieza, I like the idea of an MTV Cribs type show. But only if it's hosted by the ghost of Lord Alfred Hayes.
    Similarly, I want an American Idol-type singing competition hosted by The Honky Tonk Man.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It sounds like a lot of the Pay-Per-Views will be exclusively on the WWE Network.

In related news, I need to know how to get this channel via DirecTV.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'd love a where-are-they-now show, too. Could be fun to see a sort of Punk'd show, with superstars setting up other superstars or messing with fans.

The old PPVs and TV shows are a given, and I bet they air a lot of their DVDs (or portions of them) like they have on their On Demand channel. I'd love to see them do some themed shows that look at stuff from the past -- shows centering on classic feuds with some of the best matches, or the rise of a certain star.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The obvious answer for the new network: Z: True Long Island Story. Make it a half-hour weekly episode.

I'd also like to see a reality show in which the wrestler is followed around by the cameras for a while (kinda like the Bret Hart documentary). Show them getting bothered by fans at 4 a.m. in an airport, or dealing with family and contract issues.

Mick Foley also had an idea at one point about following Vince McMahon around at Wrestlemania weekend. That'd be a very good idea for a documentary.

6. schiezainc

The only problem with the WWE Network that I can see is that they'll be too determined to stay within the WWE canon to really make the most out of their opportunity. I would love, love, love to see a behind the scenes special that shows how the writers come up with their ideas, that shows how feuds evolve behind the scene, e.t.c.

Instead, we'll just ignore that everyone knows wrestling is staged and pretend everything is real instead.

7. While we await the answer to the 1.2.12 question, I'll add three for consideration:

1) WWE breakout star?
    2) Does TNA/Impact survive the year?
    3) A bold prediction on 2012 in either WWE or Impact

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. Ziggler. They've been giving him a greater push, and he's been working his ass of in the matches. Now, if only he could get rid of that name.

2. Yes, but they'll scale back the number of retreads and have a lot of young guys that no one has ever heard of.

3. WWE: Miz becomes the top babyface as Cena becomes the top heel.
    TNA: Someone very prominent (Hardy, Flair, Angle, I'm looking at you) dies.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) I don't think there's one. I think there's about five.
    Ziggler, Rhodes, Ryder and Bryan are all right on the edge of being the next big thing. Punk's star is still rising. Yes, he's champion and the current top face, but his star is still rising. By the end of 2012 I think he'll be at Cena-Orton levels of recognizability where the casual fans are concerned.
    Then you've got a bunch of guys who have taken steps back after big initial pushes -- Barrett, Miz (who has got to have more in the tank after last year's push -- or, at least, I hope he does), Swagger and a couple others. One of them could break out with the right angle.

2) I'm amazed they've lasted this long. It seems like they've figured out where there strength lies the last half of 2011 (the very talented, homegrown wrestlers) and are rolling with it. If they can ever put together enough decent storylines at the same time to shake their reputation of crap they might have something there to pull people in.

3) WWE prediction No. 1: Cena rises above his hate by drawing No. 1 at the Royal Rumble, quickly eliminating Kane (No. 2), then refusing to fight until the other 29 guys are all in the ring simultaneously. He then eliminates then all within five minutes to win the Rumble, goes to Wrestlemania and beats the Rock in a two-minute match and stays a face.
    WWE prediction No. 2: The 1-2-12 reveal turns out to be Brodus Clay, who is forgotten by the time 2-2-12 rolls around and the Undertaker's creepy return videos start airing.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Internet marks love Ziggler.

Here's my problem: He kinda sucks on the mic, and there's a limit to how far you can push him. I actually like Cody Rhodes more for that reason.

11. schiezainc

So my brother bought me the MITB PPV on DVD for Christmas and I just got around to rewatching the Cena vs. Punk match for the first time since I saw it live.

Now, I don't know why but it was VERY clear that the WWE toned down the hell out of that Chicago crowd for this DVD. When I watched it live, you could barely hear anything King/Cole were saying and, this time, you could hear them clearly and, apart from a couple of spots, the crowd noise was DRASTICALLY different.

And I don't know if it was that or the fact that I knew who was going to win or the fact that I knew how much they screwed up Punk's heat following the PPV but, this time, the match didn't seem nearly as good as it did when I first watched it.

Technically, it wasn't a very clean bout with a bunch of missed spots by both Cena and Punk but when I watched it live, I didn't notice any of them. Maybe the crowd was masking some of the mistakes but I was pretty underwhelmed by this bout on DVD. Shame too because I still feel it was the absolute best match of the year (Despite what wwe.com would have you believe) and I feel like this editing by WWE really took away a lot of the heat for it.

Still, I'll never forget what it was like to watch this bout live and no amount of shitty post-PPV editing by the powers that be is going to change that for me.

12. Count me among those that would like to see a big surprise reveal tonight, someone like a Batista or even a Goldberg. I suppose Brodus Clay is supposed to fill that role and it helps to have Kane back but I still don't buy Mark Henry as the indestructible force that just overpowers everyone. And Big Show's character is too cutesie for that role. I've always thought the WWE was better when you had one big guy like a Lesnar or Batista who is seemingly invincible because it always leaves you wondering how in the hell anyone is going to stop him.

Draft saved Draft deleted