1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Football HOF candidates announced...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 29, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, not a single good reason there for him not to get in. Only led the league once? Bettis never led the league.

2. outofplace

You want a wow factor? Fourth in NFL history in rushing in an era in a passing era.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Curtis Martin in a heartbeat.

Keyshawn Johnson on the other hand, should not be elected, period. Good but not great numbers and as previously suggested, his greatness was in promoting himself.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My lasting Keyshawn memory is of him jawing all week leading up to the Bucs hosting the Jets back in 2000 about how he was a star and Wayne Chrebet was a flashlight. Then, the Jets go out and beat the Bucs on a halfback pass in the final seconds to Chrebet, thrown by none other than Curtis Martin (let's see Bettis do that!). The star's line for the game: 1 catch, 1 yard. That entire week sums up Keyshawn Johnson. Style over substance to the nth degree.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's fine and impressive. It doesn't "wow" me. I know I'm in the minority on this, probably because I always overplay the "fame" part of the Hall of Fame. When/if Martin gets in, I still say a substantial number of fans will have to read his plaque to understand why he's there.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Point taken on the plaque, playthrough. I think you'd be right.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but anyone know if Chrebet has had any post-career concussion issues to date?

8. outofplace

That's why fans don't vote for the Hall of Fame.

9. outofplace

I remember that game, and you are right. It perfectly summed up everything that was wrong with Johnson and everything that was right about Chrebet.

That said, Bettis actually had more career touchdown passes than Martin, 3-2. But Martin was 2-for-2 while Bettis needed six tries to get his three scores. :)

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

At one point, yes.

No idea how he is doing now.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What about special teamers? Or are those never a big deal, except when they change the course of a game, which is only every week?

12. outofplace

Yes, special teams can turn a game. But the individual standouts on special teams do not impact games like starters do. And that's the other key element. The Steve Taskers of the world usually play those roles because they simply aren't good enough to start on offense or defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted