1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Football HOF candidates announced...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 29, 2011.

1. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

For good measure, Curtis was much more reliable in terms of protecting the ball.
    Bettis: 41 fumbles; 3,479 carries, 200 catches (fumble every 89.73 touches)
    Martin: 29 fumbles; 3,518 carries, 484 catches (fumble every 138 touches)

Bettis may have had the big personality and nickname but Martin was without question a better back.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Curtis Martin is the most underappreciated football player of the last 25 years--at least. I've ranted here about his credentials but goodness, the guy rushed for 1,000 yards 10 straight years and won the rushing title in the 10th year, at an age when most RBs are either long retired or just collecting a paycheck as a little-used role player. He should have been in last year.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if Martin doesn't get in this year, and horrified. Last year was a real big crop of guys who should be in the Hall. This year, not so much. I like Bledsoe, and he was a pretty good quarterback in his day, but Hall of Famer? No.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I mean, Parcells will get in before Schotty IMO. What other coaching candidates are even still waiting to get inducted from past nominees?

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I agree.

6. Point of Order

Sure, but it's the hall of "fame" not the hall of best.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did you forget your blue font or are you actually suggesting that as a legitimate argument?

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm a waffler on this one. martin was about the classiest act i ever covered. but i get the non-n.y./n.e. media/fans not being fired up about him. he had no important-game, signature moments, no highlight-film moments. truth is, he was an incredibly consistent, solid back but we prefer our 'skill positon' hof'ers to bring a WOW factor to these festivities. and truth be told, martin was a boring player (on the field).

my guess is he eventually gets in, but i have zero problem with those who shrug and put him in their 'hall of very good' instead.

9. Point of Order

I'm actually suggesting that factors other than one's playing ability go into who makes the HOF, yes.

Did Jerry Rice need a big personality to get into the HOF? No, he was that good. Does Keyshawn Johnson? Yes, if he gets in it will be largely on personality.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm in the hall of very good for Martin. Not all his fault -- a ring or two would help considerably. But again, all the stats, though excellent, can't hide the lack of signature stuff. One person says he had 1400 or more yards four times, I'll say he only led the league once. Yes, that came in his 10th year, very impressive, but it wasn't wildly celebrated in the game.

If he doesn't get in very soon, his candidacy won't look better in future years because more players with gaudy numbers will become eligible. And, sure, being a quiet lunch-pail guy might not help either.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For running backs, it's all about yards per carry, Martin is at 4.0 for a career. He'll make it at some point, considering he is third all time in total carries behind only Emmitt and Sweetness. He may be one of the last running backs to get 3,000 carries in a career. When Tomlinson retires there really isn't another one on the horizon. Bettis and Edgerrin James are also in that group.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bettis will get in because he has a neat nickname. Martin will get in because he deserves it. But I'm guessing Bettis gets in first. Possibly a number of years before.

Draft saved Draft deleted