1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Football HOF candidates announced...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 29, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Drew Bledsoe is no HOFer, but that sonuvabitch will always be high on my list for how tough he was. Jesus.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

generally, the 'glamour-boy qbs' are the toughest -- or among the toughest -- sob's on their team. think about the hits they all withstand, many from the blindside, from speeding tornados usually much bigger than they are. it's why veteran qb's eventually become the most respected folks by their teammates.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bettis had big years, consistency and a ring. Martin is a reach to me. If he played in Jacksonville or Cincinnati instead of New York, would he get a sniff?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The only thing Bettis has on Martin is the ring, and he was just a role player on that team.

Bettis never led the league in rushing. Martin did it in 2004. Martin also had more seasons over 1,400 yards (four of them, to three for Bettis). I think that covers the big years.

You want consistency? Martin ran for over 1,000 yards his first 10 years in the NFL. The only time he came up short was when he broke down in 2005, his final season. Compare that to Bettis doing it in eight of his first nine seasons. Don't forget that he dropped off enough by his third season that the Rams gave up on him. I'm not saying they were smart to do so, but his production diminished two straight seasons after the big rookie year.

Most importantly, Martin was a more complete back. Bettis was a liability in the passing game. He could block, but he was a lousy receiver. He had 200 career catches and I was surprised to see it was that many. Martin was a real threat out of the backfield, catching 484 passes in his career.

Also, Martin has the slightly higher average per carry for his career, 4.0 to 3.9.

Both belong, but I think Martin has the better case for the Hall of Fame.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't argue with any of your facts, OOP. Good stuff. But, if it takes all those stats to make the point, is Martin really a HOF'er? Bettis may not be either, but people would stop at his bust and remember the bruising runs, "the bus", blah blah blah. Martin's bust will be a stop for Jets fans and whoever had him on fantasy teams.

7. outofplace

The stats are very much in Martin's favor and that somehow hurts his cause? That is certainly an interesting take, but not one I agree with.

This isn't MLB. Players don't automatically get a lot more attention just because they play in the bigger media market. The Steelers get as much, if not more, attention than the Patriots or the Jets, Martin's two teams.

Bettis was certainly more impressive to watch at his best, but not more effective. And I think at least part of the reason he stands out more to you and others is his personality. Bettis was loud, outgoing and extremely well-liked. Martin came out of his shell some as a pro, but he was still relatively quiet.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

With all due respect, this is not the Pro Football HOF.

It's the NFL HOF.

Whatever you think of the CFL, Damon Allen should be inducted

Allen leads the all-time pro football passing chart with 72,381 passing yards; he surpassed Warren Moon's total of 70,553 yards (in both the CFL and NFL combined)

9. outofplace

Moon did most of his damage against MUCH tougher competition in the NFL. Not really a fair comparison.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not yet? Does Schottenheimer winning a ring in the UFL get him in?
    pretty much agree with your picks though. If Stephen Davis gets in Michael Westbrook inducts him.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, Moon believes Allen belongs in the Hall so I don't know what to tell you.

My point is simple: it should be called the NFL Hall of Fame until the old white guys who run the thing realise the CFL is a professional league. At least the Hockey Hall of Fame has the decency to induct a few non NHL players.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No need for a name change, it's understood. Baseball is not the MLB HOF but that is pretty much what it is. Negro League players are in because the people in charge of the HOF realized there was an injustice in the country and being that baseball is called the national pastime it makes sense to recognize the injustice. Other than that everyone in is a major league baseball player. Sadaharu Oh is a great baseball player but he's not getting in. So as great as Allen may be, he's not getting in either.

Draft saved Draft deleted