1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Football HOF candidates announced...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 29, 2011.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why isn't Jerry Kramer ever considered? I think he probably had a better career than Dick Stanfill. And I know he had a better career than Lem Barney or Emmitt Thomas. Barney had a great rookie year and kind of gradually slide each year after that. Thomas was a good but not great corner. Kramer was a premier guard for a decade on a great team. Gene Hickerson was the other dominant NFL guard in the 60's and he is in.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

One of the little mysteries of the Hall. The knock on Taylor is he ws not nearly as good people thought he was...ie. he became famous because of his ability to speak intelligently so the 60s press ate him up. So he always got votes at the end of the year for All-Pro, in 1969 he was elected the greatest guard in the history of the game and then people remember him being a replacement kicker. That all led him to be overrated.

My personal theory is his books then made him very famous....a more famous writer than the guys asked to elect him. And if you think sports writers can't hold grudges like that...well, hang around this board a little while.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Despite the fact that he reached a Super Bowl, Drew Bledsoe was the ultimate "big talent who will hurt your team" player. It led to some highlights, but way too many low points. As for Simms, I like to give him credit for two Super Bowls even though he technically didn't win the second one (he was outstanding that year and certainly did his part, so I'll give it to him). Still, that's not enough.

I honestly don't think Bettis and Martin deserve it. They were really good players, but especially for Martin, it seems like their entire argument is "look, I made the top five!" I'll pass. Let's not oversaturate the hall with skill position players, which is hard enough even when you're keeping out Cris Carter.

The only other ones who ever get any HOF hype are Craig and Davis. Craig wasn't dominant enough on a legendary offense, and Davis didn't do it long enough.

I really think we're going overboard with receivers, so perhaps Carter's exclusion is sending a message that the Hall acknowleges this problem. I'm glad they do, but Carter needs to be inducted already. Tim Brown should find room at some point, too. No one else needs to be there.

Just a few thoughts on some players for now, will maybe add some later. Just wanted to add that I agree with the creator of the OP. Shields needs to make it. Shields better be first ballot.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think receivers and running backs are the two positions where voters will have the most problems in the next decade or so. There are a lot who can make an argument, but so few who can make the argument an easy one.

Now that Faulk is in, the next no-brainer at RB is LaDainian Tomlinson. Martin and Bettis will get in, but both have already had to wait.

I would have thought that Marvin Harrison was a no-brainer lock to be a first ballot guy. Now that Cris Carter and Andre Reed have had to wait, I no longer think that.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

How about Tony Boselli?

I hope Tony Boselli gets a longer look. Arguably the best OT in the game for 5 or 6 years. Dwight Stephenson started pretty close to the same number of games as Boselli. Same number of Pro Bowls too. If Stephenson can get in, why doesn't Boselli at least make it further in the process?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No Bettis or Martin, but you want Boselli in? Oy.

Longevity matters in the NFL, moreso than any other sport, just because it is so tough to do. Boselli was a hell of a player when he managed to play, but it wasn't often enough.

Bettis and Martin both had monster years along with their consistency. I can understand them having to wait a bit, but both should be there.

7. Mizzougrad96

Offensive linemen need longevity. They have to be the best player in the league for at least a decade or close to it to merit serious consideration.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I think there is definitely substance to your theory.

The spouse of a former prominent member of the Packers' organization told me the books (Instant Relay, Farewell to Football and Distant Replay) sparked a lot of jealousy, players and press. Take the source for what it's worth but I buy it.

Personally, I think it's a travesty Kramer's not in. The length of Hickerson's wait was ridiculous.

9. Mizzougrad96

I thought I remember Peter King writing that Kramer would be up for induction again in 2014 or something like that. I can't claim to have any idea how the veteran's committee works, so I don't know...

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Even as an executive, though, Parcells was successful in Miami. Every place he went he turned losing or mediocre teams into winners. The two rings will put him over the top.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I interpreted BYH's comment to mean he wouldn't be stunned if some voters were vindictive bastards. I agree.

It's not a matter of if with Parcells, but when.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

schottenheimer? NOT. A. CHANCE. none. coaches who NEVER get to the championship game are NEVER given serious consideration. cowher? i'd also vote no, though he won't even have a shot until the committee is certain he's through coaching. i do not believe he's yet deserving anyway. relatively small body of work; he needs a successful second stop to convince most voters.

shields is probably inevitable but no way will he be a first-timer.

Draft saved Draft deleted