1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Olympic medal count will be very skewed: Iran threatens boycott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My impression of Iranians is that they stay pissed, and they don't need a reason. Yeah, broad brush. Sue me.

That said, if the Olympics is about inclusion and fostering relations between countries, the IOC should take this seriously. London coulda used numbers that look like numbers, you know?

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

This sucks. I was really looking forward to The Iron Sheik being the flag bearer.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If I were really high, I might see Zion. But, I'm not.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In support of his friend, Nikolai Volkoff is also planning to boycott his singing of the national anthem whenever the Russians win a wrestling medal.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ironically (or coincidentally, whatever), the Iron Sheik WAS an Olympian. He competed for Iran in the 1968 Olympics in Greco-Roman wrestling.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Iran No. 1, Russia No. 1. England and Zion (spitting noises)."

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm just offended by how shitty the logo is.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I had to look this up, because I would have bet a lot of money he wasn't even Iranian. And his wikipedia entry has this:

"Khosrow competed to become part of the Iranian Olympic Greco Roman team for the 1968 Summer Olympics held in Mexico"

Does that mean he made the team, or just tried out?

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Problem is the number 2012 itself looks kinda like the word zion if you read it backwards while twisting your head and have recently dropped acid. Guess they'll soon have a lot more boycotting besides this, my calendar suggests that number might be coming up more frequently in the near future.

Amazing that anyone in Iran's govt believed this feigned offense would make them look like anything other than irrational buffoons.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Their cheerleaders are gonna be pissed if they don't get to go.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted