1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 NFL draft: Who's No. 3?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 15, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: 2012 NFL draft thread: USC tackle Matt Kalil the first one in the pool

Wouldn't you?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are they on probation next season?

Kiffin was on the record saying he'd support Barkley going pro and that he was ready, which is the classy thing to say and what Carroll should have said when Sanchez declared.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

They are off of the bowl ban but the scholarship restrictions will start. As said earlier, it probably won't hurt the 2012 team that much - the effects will be felt several years down the road. Essentially, USC has almost no margin for error in terms of "missing" on recruits, and a rash of injuries will be incredibly harmful at any point during the season.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think the scholarship bans have the impact that people think they do on a place like Ohio State or USC. Basically, it can be business as usual, but you'll have to be willing to pull redshirts if the need arises.

Obviously, it doesn't help, but I don't think the losses will be "devastating" to either school.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Disagree with that -- as great as they have been gathering recruits, they have missed on their share too. It's just that if they went 2 for 4 on WRs they still have two damn good WRs who were high school All-Americans, but now they're going to have to go 2 for 3 or even 2 for 2. And as guys leave early they're going to have problems with depth.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Not sure USC is the preseason No. 1 for next year.

My top 5 would be something like this:

1. LSU
    2. USC
    3. Alabama
    4. Clemson
    5. Oregon

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Scholarships will hurt USC since it's 10 per year, unlike Ohio State at three per. If there isn't a lot of upperclassmen leaving, then the Trojans can't bring in a boatlad of kids and the ones they do bring in better be the goods or come 2014 will be in a world of hurt.

I may be wrong, but it looks like if no one else turns pro, USC brings back 66 on scholarship.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I was using that argument to explain to a fellow Husky fan why Chris Polk should go pro. Not sure where he grades out, but he is pretty damn solid.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, cause finding quality tail as a millionaire pro athlete is so tough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like Charlie Johnson had better brush up his resume.

11. Heisenberg

Heisenberg New Member

They won't devastate OSU. Under Jim Tressel, the Buckeyes seldom recruited to capacity with scholarships. Typically, late in a season, Tressel would award a few of the available scholarships to walk-ons.

Now, assuming Urban Meyer might like to do the same, it won't happen. OSU still will get its usual big-time recruits. The loss of scholarships will simply mean that a few walk-ons each year won't get reward with a scholarship.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I applaud Barkley for staying if that's what he wants to do. This is someone's life, not a purely economic decision although it appears many want to make it that way.

One guy I will never forget is the father of Scott Burrell, a first round baseball pick and a potential UConn hoops recruit who chose hoops over the $$. His father said "you only get to be a college freshman once."

Same for being a college senior and the BMOC. Leinert wanted to hang in LA with Paris Hilton rather than be a professional in Jacksonville/Houston/etc. So he missed out on a few million $$ (which economically they never make up), as will Barkley. Leinert has done okay financially, and I'm sure Barkley will as well.

Life is more important than $$ and I love it that someone has the opportunity to say no to $$.

Draft saved Draft deleted