1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 MLB Regular Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

He is an outstanding guy, better than most in the game.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hopefully somebody piss tested that little no-fielding bitch. obviously he's dirty.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

My picks for the MLB awards:

NL Rookie of the Year - Bryce Harper, WSN

Todd Frazier is his only competition and he didn't garner much of a storyline. Harper had a better season at 19 years old than Ken Griffey, Jr. did, and in a lower run-scoring enviroment (marginally) to boot.

AL Rookie of the Year - Mike Trout, LAA

Do I really need to say why?

NL Cy Young Award - R. A. Dickey, NYM

Dickey had a season worthy of Steve Carlton: he won 20 games with a team that won 74 this season, and had a 2.73 ERA and 230 strikeouts. I think those things will resonate with voters.

AL Cy Young Award - Justin Verlander, DET

This could easily be David Price as well, as the two have had similar stellar years. However, I think some familiarity might kick in and they'll give the award to Verlander. He won't get the MVP, though.

NL Manager of the Year - Davey Johnson, WSN

Led the Nationals to their first divison title in franchise history (Finishing first in half of the 1981 strike year doesn't count. ), and seemed to do a good job dealing with the Harper and Strasburg media circuses.

AL Manager of the Year - Buck Showlater, BAL

Showalter is one of those underappreciated managers that does good work wherever he is, and we saw that on full display with Baltimore's improbable run to the playoffs.

NL MVP - Buster Posey, SFG

Posey came back from his much-publicized injury to post an offensive season worthy of Mike Piazza. With little competition outside of Yadier Molina and Andrew McCutchen, it's a lock.

AL MVP - Miguel Cabrera, DET

We can debate all we want about who was more valuable, but the truth is Cabrera will not be denied the MVP thanks to the Triple Crown. This is not a bad thing.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I believe I agree with every one of your selections, Gehrig.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Wilin Rosario? Wade Miley?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good points, especially Miley. He did it quietly, but the kid had a hell of a season.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Frazier would have had the NL ROY, but he went ice cold the last month and Harper got red hot again.

But I tell you what, there are few players who are simply as fun to watch as Harper is. Love watching him play. And that'll also earn him some votes.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't really argue with any of those.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not saying I disagree, but that's some self-fulfilling prophesy you've got there. You're picking a guy because he will win? I hope the voters don't think the same way. There are good reasons to pick both candidates, but that's a horrible one along the lines of "Mike Trout was more fun to watch."

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Gehrig, only disagreement is I'd say Melvin over Buck. As much as I love the Orioles story, Melvin was given essentially nothing, 5 rookie starters in Sept.? A Cuban rookie as your CF and 3 hole hitter? The regular C traded at the deadline? Rookie "All-Star" (the must have 1 per team choice) Cook who then gets hurt; and original closer, Fuentes, waived in mid-season.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Orioles had a Pythagorean record of 82-80. They went 16-2 in extra-inning games and 29-9 in one-run games. The bullpen was the team's only real strength. Those are signs of good management.

Melvin, whose A's had a Pythagorean record of 92-70, did a great job, one that might have won him the award in many other seasons. But this is Showalter's trophy.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A what record!?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.