1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 MLB Regular Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

To the surprise of no one, Bobby Valentine fired:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8461424/boston-red-sox-fire-manager-bobby-valentine-one-season

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess it could have been worse.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Josh Hamilton has had one hell of an anecdote-filled year, so yesterday was a great way to cap it off.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Much better than it has been in previous years

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Pat Neshek has long been a good guy to us, we know from experience words provide little solace. Better days ahead.

6. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Can't say I'm stunned by this one.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The correct pattern is actually: Hell yes. I hate you. Hell yes. I hate you. Hell yes. :)

In 1934, Giants manager Bill Terry made the mistake of saying "Is Brooklyn still in the league?" when asked for his preseason prediction of how all the teams would do. Dodgers fans rode him all year long. Going into the final weekend, the Giants needed to win just one of two games against the Dodgers to clinch their second straight pennant. Instead, Casey Stengel's Dodgers knocked out the hated Giants, paving the way for the "Gas House Gang" Cardinals to win it all.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And of course, Brooklyn manager Charlie Dressen made up for Terry's gaffe in August 1951 when he declared, "The Giants is dead."

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

buckweaver, you may not exactly have a howitzer down there, but you sure do know your baseball.

[/ParaphrasedSportsJournalists.comClassic]

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Anyone know who the A's are starting Saturday?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think most of this kind of talk is moving to the postseason thread. But ... I'd be surprised if it wasn't Jarrod Parker. Brett Anderson is close to coming back, but he has an oblique strain and some tenderness so every extra day helps. Parker pitched fairly well Monday and would be on normal rest.

My guess is Parker-Milone-Anderson-Griffin.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Anyone notice that Jeter led MLB in hits?

How many of you saw that coming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.