1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 MLB postseason running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you're the Buck Showalter Pic Guy.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand O's-Nats fervor and wouldn't mind seeing it myself, but A's-Giants would be incredible. They are in a death stare right now over the rights to San Jose -- which the Giants own and where the A's want to build their new stadium -- and depending on the outcome of that, either the A's are going to have to leave the Bay Area or the Giants are going to have to file a lawsuit that puts baseball's antitrust exemption to the test.

The owners cannot even hide their contempt when speaking about each other anymore.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1) Orioles/Nats -- A Beltway World Series in an election year? D.C. fans vs. Angelos? Davey vs. his old team? Harper in the spotlight? Buck finally gets his ring? Will Strasburg pitch? So many storylines
    2) Braves/Yankees -- relive the '90s! (hey, fifth time's a charm!)
    3) Giants/A's -- as LTL says, this feud is a doozy
    4) Giants/Yankees -- hard to believe this hasn't happened since '62
    5) Orioles/Reds -- not as many HOFers as '70, but this would just be fun

*) Braves/Orioles -- personal dream matchup; my favorite team vs. my hometown team

But really, I'll take any matchup that doesn't involve the Cardinals, Yankees or Rangers. Cards-Yanks would be fucking insufferable (would have been worse last year, if it was La Russa vs. Girardi.)

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not a fan of one-game playoffs.

You play 6 freakin' months and all you might get for your efforts is one lousy game. Too many fluke things can happen. If that's all you are going to do, don't try selling it as "expanded" playoffs. Not buying. Might as well just make the cut after 162 games instead of 163.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you just find out it was a one game playoff?

If you don't want to play in a one game playoff, win your division.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, I agree. I was never in favor of wild cards to begin with. Not if you're going to bore us with 162 regular season games.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Put me in the "Would love to see a Nats-O's World Series" camp.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The one-game playoffs are something I look forward to seeing tonight. They're further proof of my belief that the most random and therefore unfair elements of sports competition are also among the most thrilling parts -- penalty kick shootouts in soccer, playoff hockey overtime, etc.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Best World Series matchups:
    Anything not involving the Yankees and Cardinals.

Wost World Series matchups:
    Anything involving the Yankees and Cardinals, especially, God forbid, Yankees vs. Cardinals.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Just pointing out that there would have been a one-game playoff in the AL regardless this season. Texas and Baltimore have the same record.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

With the Rangers hosting, the NJ Star Ledger forecasts an unseasonably chilly game:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. turski7

turski7 Member

Baseball on ice. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.