1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 19, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bless you. I LOVE Luther.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting. Who would be the "star" of Game of Thrones? I'm not sure you can nominate anyone in any category other than supporting actor/actress, because there is no "main" character.

I'll say this about American Horror Story, the three nominated did fantastic jobs with their roles, but man, was that show a shit-show train wreck by the end. I'm not sticking around for season 2. At least McDermott didn't get nominated. Completely overacted his part in that show.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This, though I may come back for 2. I was hate-watching it by the end, but I had to watch it.

I expected more horror and less crappy acting and grossness.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree with this if only because it would be a natural fit for Doctor Who, which I feel, as a whole series, is as good a show as Breaking Bad or Mad Men. I think it should be nominated in the Best Drama Series category, but it's so tough for a sci-fi show to be recognized as more than a niche show. Back when David Tennant was on, he should have been up for best actor each year (and probably won), and Matt Smith probably deserves a nom now for his work.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't watch it, but mention Downton Abbey around a group of women, and you will see why I mentioning this show to win something.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I don't see it winning any of the major categories, except for maybe Supporting Actress. I like it, but for Best Drama, I'd put it 5th out of 6th, just ahead of Game of Thrones, and that's mostly because I'm really down on season 2 of GoT.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I watch a ton of TV and actually felt pretty pleased with the Academy's choices this year. Obviously some omissions here or there (lack of Community, Parks and Recreation cast > Modern Family cast, etc.) but some surprisingly awesome noms (Giancarlo Esposito and Mark Margolis earned much-deserved nominations).

Drama Series
    Mad Men

Drama Series, Actor
    Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Drama Series, Actress
    Claire Danes, Homeland

Supporting Actor, Drama
    Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad

Supporting Actress, Drama
    Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife

Comedy Series
    Girls

Actor, Comedy Series
    Louis C.K., Louie

Supporting Actor, Comedy
    Ty Burrell, Modern Family

Actress, Comedy Series
    Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series
    Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Miniseries or Movie
    Luther

Actor, Miniseries or Movie
    Idris Elba, Luther

Actress, Miniseries or Movie
    Connie Britton, American Horror Story

Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie
    Martin Freeman, Sherlock: A Scandal

Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie
    Mare Winningham, Hatfields & McCoys

Guest Actor, Comedy
    Michael J. Fox, Curb Your Enthusiasm

Guest Actor, Drama
    Mark Margolis, Breaking Bad

Guest Actress, Comedy
    Dot-Marie Jones, Glee

Guest Actress, Drama
    Julia Ormond, Mad Men

Variety, Comedy or Musical Series
    The Colbert Report

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Of what I feel remotely qualified to vote on, which isn't much:

Drama Series
    Mad Men: Had its best season

Drama Series, Actress
    Claire Danes, Homeland: Always vote for Angela Chase

Supporting Actor, Drama
    WRITE-IN Vincent Kartheiser, Mad Men: Why the fuck is Jared Harris nominated but not Kartheiser?

Comedy Series
    Curb Your Enthusiasm: Community, Parks and Recreation and Louie should be on this list, though

Actor, Comedy Series
    Louis C.K., Louie: Makes the show

Supporting Actor, Comedy
    WRITE-IN Nick Offerman, Parks and Recreation: Unbelievable that he was left off

Actress, Comedy Series
    Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation: Had a really terrific season

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series
    Julie Bowen, Modern Family: Would have picked Aubrey Plaza, but Bowen had a strong season

Guest Actor, Comedy
    Michael J. Fox, Curb Your Enthusiasm: No one does guest appearances better than Curb

Guest Actor, Drama
    Jason Ritter, Parenthood: I'm wondering how his rather large role qualifies as a guest appearance, but he's good

Guest Actress, Comedy
    Margaret Cho, 30 Rock: Nothing like good ol' racism

Guest Actress, Drama
    Julia Ormond, Mad Men: Gave a blow job on screen.

Variety, Comedy or Musical Series
    The Colbert Report: Conan O'Brien and Craig Ferguson should have been nominated

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Actually, I had to Google him. You make a good point about his role. He's not exactly a guest star.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

IMDB.com says he's been in 20 episodes. He had a huge influence on the second half of last season, too.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Blossom is very good in Big Bang. Although Penny always comes to mind when I hear the words "big bang" but that's for another thread ...

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm a Community fan, but I'm fine with them not getting a nomination. It's the very definition of a niche show, and its best episodes are incredibly meta, appealing to people obsessed with TV and other media. Parks and Recreation is a more glaring oversight to me, especially no nomination for Ron Swanson.

Draft saved Draft deleted