1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So, uh, I'm guessing Modern Family is going to take Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy... Four out of the five nominees, wow.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Actually, there are six nominees - shottie's list is missing Bill Hader.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I know, but if there is ever a season where it absolutely should, season 4 of BB is the one.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thanks, lisa, I'll add that. I take it it's for his SNL work, right?

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Really disappointed Andrew Scott got no nom for his manic portrayal of Moriarty in "Sherlock." Dude won the BAFTA, after all. And Freeman was nominated for "Scandal in Belgravia," not "Reichenbach Fall"? Weird.

Other than that, hope Damian Lewis wins for Homeland. The rest is a yawn for me. Even though I'm a big Downton fan, it shouldn't win for lead actor. Maybe Dockery for lead actress - her Lady Mary certainly displayed range this season. But not Bonneville (lead actor) or Coyle (supporting). Just wasn't enough there. Wouldn't mind Maggie Smith winning because I just love that old girl.

6. lisa_simpson

Correct.

Neither Freeman nor Cumberbatch had any control over that - in order to be able to submit in the Mini/Movie category, PBS had to pick one of the episodes, and that's what they chose. Clearly it worked, since Cumberbatch is nominated as well.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Really? They could only submit one of three episodes? That sucks. So, do the series only submit one episode?

8. lisa_simpson

No, but the actors do once the nominations are finalized. Series submit in batches of six, and typically the producers submit two sets of episodes. Shows competing in the Series categories must have broadcast a minimum of six episodes in the eligibility year to be considered.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I still wish there were a Cable ACE awards. HBO and Showtime and AMC play by such different rules that give them such an unfair advantage over the over-the-air networks. Imagine, for example, what Showtime would have been able to do with Smash.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

There really needs to be a dramedy category added.

Was excited to see Mayim Bialik be nominated for Big Bang Theory. She was great this season.

Also, give Dame Maggie Smith anything she's nominated for. The woman is flawless.

I would openly root for Sherlock to sweep the miniseries category, but as it barely gets any love from the BAFTAs (except, apparently, in the supporting actor category -- which Martin Freeman, as it has been said, had a lot more to work with and had a much better performance in The Reichenbach Fall than in A Scandal in Belgravia) I'm really not holding out much hope. Maybe the Emmys will surprise me. Wouldn't disparage them awarding Luther and Idris Elba either -- another top show from the BBC.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The best thing on a terrific show.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I love The Good Wife. It's probably my favorite show, and that includes Mad Men and Game of Thrones. But I feel like all the love for Kalinda has become a bit much. She good, but her performance this year was not quite as powerful as it was the first two seasons.

Frankly, both Juliana Margulies (I know thats spelled wrong) and Josh Charles had some great subtle moments this year, as did Chris Noth. I'd like to see some of the other great acting recognized instead of just the character.

Draft saved Draft deleted